We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

changing return flight date?

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,551 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
changing return flight date?

We have a situation where two family members have to visit Tegucigalpa, Honduras, to be there on a specific date. The return date will vary depending on factors beyond our control, possibly vary by 2-3 weeks. The airline will be Delta.

Has anyone had experience with Delta in changing a return flight date? They say you pay $200 per ticket plus or minus the current difference in ticket price for the same travel. That's alright, we can live with that, but does it actually work? Or do they force the traveller into paying exorbitant extra fees at the time of the change? I have talked to Delta - they were friendly but quite vague on this question.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: changing return flight date?

I don't understand why they would be vague. I don't know the terms and conditions associated with these tickets, but usually, you pay the change fee, and then any difference, if any, in fare between the old ticket and the new ticket. There aren't any "extra fees" beyond this, but depending on the dates, the fare difference could be quite high.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,114 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: changing return flight date?

Not sure how vague they would be unless you plan on changing the return date after the departure date.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,597 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: changing return flight date?

The problem with buying the cheaper tickets is that it's impossible to know how much it will cost to change the return date - it will be the change fee ($200) plus an unspecified amount for the fare difference that you'll only discover at the time you want to change.

Alternatively you could buy a flexible ticket that might incur no or minimal fees/costs but these will be more expensive than the cheaper economy tickets but it's impossible to say whether they will be more expensive after taking the change fee/fare difference into account.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: changing return flight date?

The response is vague because at this time, there is no real answer. The new price should be the change fee plus any fare difference. As you may be changing the return flight after the outbound segment occurs, this complicates the issue.

Part of the fare difference may be based on the fares in effect on the day the ticket was issued, not the fare when you make the change. This is a complicated process and usually involves the rate desks to research the historical fares and the rules associated with the fare at the time of ticket issuance. It's not as simple as it seems and frontline agents are usually not trained to handle these more complicated ticket exchanges.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,551 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: changing return flight date?

Okay,

i guess that clarifies my concern.

Thanks to all.

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: changing return flight date?

I agree with Vegasguide that its not simple. I made a change to a VAustralia ticket through Travelocity and paid the change fee plus a large amount as they said I had to upgrade to the next fare level despite the fact the at the current time of the change, the fares were cheaper! (I wasn't expecting a refund but not expecting to pay a few hundred more either). I guess the explanation has something to do with what Vegas said.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,980 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: changing return flight date?

We change return dates a lot on Delta. International change fee is actually $250 not $200. And you pay the difference on fare class, if any. Given that cheaper fare classes are usually gone by time you go to change a flight, it's not unusual to also pay an additional fare difference above the $250.

One tip, book the original ticket with DL or you may get an additional fee for changing a ticket written by a third party (travel agent, third party website, etc.). But the process is not complex, just can get a bit expensive.

Good luck.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,551 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: changing return flight date?

Thanks to all, very helpful,

Road

1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: changing return flight date?

My wife and kid travel to guatemala city for two months and they decide to stay 2 1/2 weeks only my son just want to come home so do they aks them there or I have to do it here can some one plis hepl me thanks

10. Re: changing return flight date?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 March 2014, 04:05