We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights within USA

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Flights within USA

I'm currently planning my first trip to the US and looking at booking a bunch of domestic flights. I'm a little confused with some advice I have received in relation to baggage allowance.

If I book a domestic flight in the US will most airlines charge extra for my checked baggage ? If so, are there any particular airlines that have baggage included in the price for the ticket? Or is there a limited amount of baggage included for the cost of the flight and extra charges apply to anything over that limit?

I just don't want to book my flights and then realise that my baggage charges are extra.

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,602 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights within USA

Unless your domestic flights are connections to/from your international flights domestic checked baggage charges will apply. Try looking at Southwest for your flights. If you post your itinerary there may be additional suggestions.

Check each airlines sites when looking at tickets to determine the exact charge per checked bag.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,955 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights within USA

Only southwest and jet blue do not charge for checked luggage. Note you can only buy southwest flights on their website. Their fares do not show up in third party search engines like kayak.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,472 posts
401 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights within USA

Pretty much everyone is $25/bag other than Southwest and Jet Blue, as noted. Depending on your destinations, Southwest might be a really good way to go.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
235 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights within USA

I was in america last month and took a domestic flight between vegas and san francisco, I found that there really is no difference in cost between airlines when it came to baggage. Virgin america and southwesten airlines ended up being virtually the same price when you factored in baggage charges

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,556 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights within USA

If you have status on an alliance carrier in Australia (say Qantas - OneWorld) you >>might<< get a free baggage allowance on that alliance's US carrier (for OneWorld that's American). And in the case of OneWorld/American you do.

www.aa.com/i18n/utility/baggageExceptions.jsp

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
376 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights within USA

A good summary of baggage fees for US airlines can be found at http://www.kayak.com/airline-fees

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights within USA

Wow - thanks so much everyone for your assistance. I'm so glad that I asked this question!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights within USA

Virgin America 1st choice. I have flown with them and was very happy. They don't fly all routes in the US but I would recommend you fly with them if it is an option for your routes.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights within USA

Southwest is fine, and, as noted, does not charged for the first two bags up to 50 lbs., but also, as noted, is not always cheaper than other airlines, even when the baggage fees are factored in. And have no transcontinental non-stops.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,858 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights within USA

"Unless your domestic flights are connections to/from your international flights domestic checked baggage charges will apply."

Unfortunately, this quote reflects the old rules. The new DOT rules say that all flights on the itinerary must conform to the baggage rules of the marketing carrier. That means if you buy a ticket to Boston on and from Botswana Air and Mud co. and on the same ticket you fly from Boston to Des Moines (to attend the international quicksand festival) several days later, returning to Boston to eat cauliflower for two days before flying out internationally, the baggage rules of the first flight on BAM apply throughout the journey. It can get a bit tricky determining the marketing carrier sometimes.