We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia X

queensland
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Air Asia X

Hiya I thought I let you know how I felt about air asia X I flew from Gold coast to Kuala lumpur. The trip took about 8 an half hours. The seating well..gear up for the asian's not so much Europeans. We were lucky to have a spear sit inbetween us. Otherwise would be painful flight there. Unless you paid for a hot seat or go premiere. the meals on the plane are crap. I was sick before even got to kaula lumpur. I will never eat of there planes again. And I rather pay the extra 200 each way for premiere seating. But saying all that. The waiting time at there old airport KUL which was 6+ hours was long time. Specially between flights to Phuket. My idea airport clean toilets and hygiene. was terrible. You pay for what you get. Next time I will fly with replica airlines..which take me to better airport. Or do a stop over for a night or direct flight to my destination.

156 replies to this topic
1. Re: Air Asia X

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 July 2013, 13:35

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Asia X

we flew with air asia x from sydney to KL last year and we're flying with them again soon.

for our upcoming trip, we'll be bringing along neck travel pillows to make sleeping on the 8 hour flight more comfortable.

we found the meals to be ok. actually, the nasi lemak meal was very tasty (and spicy). did not get sick from the meals that we had on our trip to KL and back to sydney or on our other air asia x flights within asia.

we had no problems with the LCCT toilets.

when flying with the low cost airlines you do have long transit times and flights at odd hours. these facts should be taken into consideration when weighing up the cost savings you might have when flying with them.

Nowra, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Asia X

They are called budget airlines for a reason, you cannot have a one star airline and expect to get five star service. I recently traveled with Air Asia from Sydney to KL, total trip time was eight and a half hours for which I had ordered two meals one was a main and the other was more of a snack, both were acceptable.

The toilets at LCCT were fine. Yes sometimes the waiting times can be very long but you knew that before you paid your money so had ample opportunity ready yourself for the long wait.

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Asia X

I was flying with them few years ago in my south east Asia trip and thinking of the budget I found the airline pretty good. I am a budget traveler so I mostly travel with budget airlines. Air Asia was OK, for me foods were also fine. Not sure if there is different of quality in different routes otherwise for me it was fine traveling!

Geraldton, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Asia X

Last year we flew Air Asia from Perth to KL, and also did 4 internal flights with them. Found the service great, the food we had was fine, all flights were on time. The money we saved gave us extra spending money on our holiday.

We found LCCT acceptable, it is only a stop over point after all.

We are booked to travel Air Asia again in July.... for us the savings are great!

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,818 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Asia X

I have flown with them many times and have never had a problem. The food has always be OK.

Regardless of which airline you use it will still be the same flight time. The LCCT is not my favourite airport but the fact is I can put up with it cause I am on holiday.

The cost of flying on one of the 'other' airlines was $1000 more (for two) return, which pays for the accommodation.The 6 hours wait at KL will not change even when the new terminal opens.

Will find out next month.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Asia X

We flew from Sydney to KL in April then flew to Phuket return. Hubby 9 & 12 year and I. I was a bit apprehensive prior the flights, don't know why maybe because they were budget and unsure of what to expect. Return flights were $2040 for all 4 of us with baggage and meals. Stayed in KL for 2 nights, Phuket for 12. I didn't think there was much difference in Air Asia than Thai Airways who we flew with last May & October apart from a $1800 saving with Air Asia. AA seats were about an inch smaller not an issue. They were clean, crew were friendly enough, all flights were on time. No entertainment system inflight but I knew that prior to going the kids took books, tablets etc....we were going on holiday I'd rather miss 8 hours of TV and be on holiday than at home. I can't fault AA at all and I highly recommend them. They are way cheaper than other all inclusive airlines.

My personal opinion is if your precious, highly strung, want or need the best of the best then I wouldn't recommend Air Asia. If you want to fly to most Asian destinations exotic or not and you get a good deal and you are easy going and happy go lucky sort of person then Air Asia are fine.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Asia X

Oh and in regards to the KL LCCT its an airport terminal you check in, check out, yes very busy but what airport isn't. Its Asia for you its an experience in itself. Your there for a short time not a good time. Again if your precious, highly strung want or need the best of the best the KL LCCT isn't for you. Fly Malaysia Thai Singapore for another $400-$500-$600 per person to get an inch extra width seating, to watch TV and transit in a nice airport. I'd rather use that savings for my holiday in the sun.

9. Re: Air Asia X

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 May 2013, 23:05

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,945 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Asia X

Have flown several times with AAX from Gold Coast and always found the service perfect. Departed and arrived on time, food was what you'd expect, but actually quite tasty (we always have vegetarian), staff helpful and we got to our destination SAFELY!

Most people either love or hate the Low Cost Terminal in KL, I'm not a fussy person so I love it and it means I'm on holiday when I arrive. Again, people are friendly, we always go and eat at the Indian place when we arrive, grab a boost juice for the kids, have a massage (if we are waiting for onward flights).

Seriously, you just need to pay the extra money and not fly budget airlines again.

Reply to: Air Asia X
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted