We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intentionally missing connecting flight

SF
5 posts
Save Topic
Intentionally missing connecting flight

Hi,

I am planning to "miss" a connecting IN-BOUND flight, so I can take a different flight elsewhere.

1) Are there any issues with this since it doesn't matter if the rest (last leg) of my trip is cancelled

2) Are there any TSA type repercussions (No fly list, etc.)?

Here's a breakdown of my travel:

Leg#1 out-bound -- SF to Hawaii

Leg#2 in-bound -- Hawaii to LA to SF

I am planning to miss the LA to SF portion so I can take a business trip from LA to London(and essentially not waste time flying from LA to SF to London).

Any help would be great!

Thank you!!

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Intentionally missing connecting flight

While it would be against the policy, you should be able to miss it without much concern, however, they most likely won't be short-checking you checked bags. They have flights between Hawaii and San Francisco and San Francisco and London.

SF
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Intentionally missing connecting flight

I'm doing carry-on only.. and only want to miss my flight from LA to SF to save time. :)

Also, my new flight (LA to London) is with the same airline.. will that matter at all?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,785 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Intentionally missing connecting flight

You won't be able to connect the itineraries so if for some reason the Hawaii-LA flight is late and you miss the flight to London, you're on your own. You'll need a lot of time between connections to make sure you do not miss the flight to London.

Any reason you don't want to simply tell the airline and have them change the routing? Would it cost more to change the existing reservation compared to buying the LA-London trip separately?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,511 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Intentionally missing connecting flight

>> Also, my new flight (LA to London) is with the same airline.. will that matter at all? <<

It could certainly matter, yes. The airline will have it their records that you would have (deliberately) missed the LAX-SFO connection, and refuse to board you on the LAX-LHR flight until you make good on the first ticket.

In fact it would be a great opportunity to catch someone doing hidden city ticketing, without an excuse, desperate to get to LHR. "Pay up or you don't fly to London" could well be their line and they'd be perfectly within their rights to do so.

Edited: 15 May 2013, 04:29
SF
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Intentionally missing connecting flight

thanks for the advice! i'll just suck it up and pay the $400 fee.

6. Re: Intentionally missing connecting flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2014, 05:17