We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cathay pacific premium economy

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Cathay pacific premium economy

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone could give me some feedback about CX's premium economy. My days of travelling long haul in economy are at an end and my company is paying for an economy ticket but I plan to upgrade myself. Problem is, it's only on Cathay, and their business class is very expensive (double MH and other excellent competitors)... wondering if premium economy would be an OK compromise.

I've flown Cathay's new regional business and the seats look a little similar to the premium economy... but overall, would you recommend it?

Thanks!

191 replies to this topic
sydney
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Cathay pacific premium economy

Hi , completed 9 flights in CX PE and that is it for me . Absolutely not worth the additional cost over Economy. The seats are the only improvement. Service is identical to economy in fact economy provides more service as the same staff serve PE as Economy so most of the time they are in Economy and ignore PE .

Food the same apart from one main course yes one only.. Beverages identical .

Toilets none for PE on the A330's so far more inconvenient than being in Economy.

If you wish to pay double economy or more for a wider seat then fine but expect virtually no other enhancement over Economy . QF and VS hands down superior . Such a big disappointment and a total waste of space .

sydney
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Cathay pacific premium economy

Hi , completed 9 flights in CX PE and that is it for me . Absolutely not worth the additional cost over Economy. The seats are the only improvement. Service is identical to economy in fact economy provides more service as the same staff serve PE as Economy so most of the time they are in Economy and ignore PE .

Food the same apart from one main course yes one only.. Beverages identical .

Toilets none for PE on the A330's so far more inconvenient than being in Economy.

If you wish to pay double economy or more for a wider seat then fine but expect virtually no other enhancement over Economy . QF and VS hands down superior . Such a big disappointment and a total waste of space .

Perth, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
53. Re: Cathay pacific premium economy

Just used premium economy from Perth to Hong Kong then to Toronto and from New York to HK and then back to Perth. This class is like the old business class Perth to Sydney of the 90's- that is the seats are bigger than economy and wider. Meals were good and service offered was more than acceptable. Do not expect sleeper seats. In our opinion well worth the extra cost over economy and far less cost than business ( Cathay is quite expensive for business compared with say Malaysian and Singapore). My wife and I are 64/63 respectively and need a but more comfort. My view, go with premium economy.

Navi Mumbai
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Cathay pacific premium economy

Below is my experience of PE

Flight Route- MUM-HKG-SFO

Mumbai, was expecting priority boarding...bang..they were not even aware, I opened the CA website on my IPAD to show and then the ground staff were not sure...result..i boarded with regular economy. So start wasn’t good, my flight from MUM-HKG was A330 and there is no dedicated washroom, you need to go to Economy class for it..no hot towels and no champagne..i did get a good amenity kit, I had to request for champagne and they gave it normal plastic glass and not the champagne flutes...main course was on good...business class..you get roasted almonds instead of peanuts...air hostess were pretty good and helpful...landed in HKG and again in HKG from gate 4 didn’t get any priority boarding..surprisingly few Germans did get priority boarding on PE..when I questioned they allowed me..again not happy flyer here...HKG-SFO I did get hot towel and champagne was served in flutes..this flight service was good and no issues..overall, I am a huge guy and the seats were comfortable with a good recline.. food is good, snacks are served well on the HKG-SFO which was on a 747 and it had a dedicated loo...PE is expensive ..i was excited as the services mentioned was almost that of business class..but then was disappointed at start of the trip itself....

Edited: 23 October 2013, 00:58
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Cathay pacific premium economy

excellent summary of full situation

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
26 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Cathay pacific premium economy

I think there is enough evidence now to suggest that Cathay is not delivering on its contract of sale with its premium economy passengers.. They say one thing, but do the opposite. It's clear, despite their written protestations to the contrary, that the notion of priority boarding is not being adhered to, especially in Hong Kong of all places. It seems that if PE passengers push their case by going up to the desk in advance, they wil get some decent service. Otherwise they'll be left with the economy passengers. In addition, when leaving from Heathrow, there is no priority when it comes to getting into the gate lounge. I am just asking the airline to honour its adverts.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,893 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Cathay pacific premium economy

Personally, I think that to phrase it as 'not consistent' maybe more suited in this situation. From what I can gather, their onboard product delivery is only a disappointment due to it lacking in value for money, and against expectations. I don't feel as though they are in serious breach as such.

Whilst many have seen the non existence of priority checkin, in the early stages after their launch, I'm adamant they did have Priority Checkin queues.

I think the greater influence would be for the consumer to vote with their feet for this ***specific*** CX product, until such time their pricing is improved.

On the whole, I think CX as an airline is brilliant, but they are just lacking in the PE market.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,331 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Cathay pacific premium economy

I still see PE check-in lines at the airports I go through. Of course, we don't use the same airports so I can't comment on others' experience. I also see PE boarding but again, if you are flying a 777, they might not have a dedicated lane. Therefore, once economy boarding starts, you can't cut in front of the other economy passengers. This is similar to flying domestically within the US where they ask F and frequent fliers to board first, but there is no separate queue.

CX PE can definitely improve though. The on-board experience feels like a glorified economy rather than any sort of premium service. They can learn lots from Qantas and BA.

Boston...
4 posts
Save Reply
59. Re: Cathay pacific premium economy

"Hi , completed 9 flights in CX PE and that is it for me . "

Completed 4 non-stops, JFK to HK (777-300) with Premium Economy, enough for me too, the only decent seats are the two behind the lavatory, bring heavy tape to keep the monitor up.

This class is definitely ignored by the FA's, you'll be amazed how long it takes to pick up your meal.

Forget using a laptop if the seat in front reclines, if you sit in the front row, be prepared to have passengers hover over you, knock your laptop around and kick your legs when sleeping. The lavatory serves all economy as well.

Premium Economy is always full, because the airline uses it as an overflow for passengers. Most of the passengers sat next to, didn't pay the double economy fare anyway. So, double the economy fare for a few extra inches and diminished service levels, no way!

Boston...
4 posts
Save Reply
60. Re: Cathay pacific premium economy

"Hi , completed 9 flights in CX PE and that is it for me . "

Completed 4 non-stops, JFK to HK (777-300) with Premium Economy, enough for me too, the only decent seats are the two behind the lavatory, bring heavy tape to keep the monitor up.

This class is definitely ignored by the FA's, you'll be amazed how long it takes to pick up your meal.

Forget using a laptop if the seat in front reclines, if you sit in the front row, be prepared to have passengers hover over you, knock your laptop around and kick your legs when sleeping. The lavatory serves all economy as well.

Premium Economy is always full, because the airline uses it as an overflow for passengers. Most of the passengers sat next to, didn't pay the double economy fare anyway. So, double the economy fare for a few extra inches and diminished service levels, no way!

Reply to: Cathay pacific premium economy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted