We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cathay pacific premium economy

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Cathay pacific premium economy

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone could give me some feedback about CX's premium economy. My days of travelling long haul in economy are at an end and my company is paying for an economy ticket but I plan to upgrade myself. Problem is, it's only on Cathay, and their business class is very expensive (double MH and other excellent competitors)... wondering if premium economy would be an OK compromise.

I've flown Cathay's new regional business and the seats look a little similar to the premium economy... but overall, would you recommend it?

Thanks!

188 replies to this topic
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
91. Re: Cathay pacific premium economy

I recently flew Adel to HKG on PE with Cathay.

I've been on all the major PEs in the past 4 years.

Qantas, Virgin Atlantic, V Australia, ANZ, British Airways

Qantas kills them all but means going to Melbourne or Sydney which after years of travel is jading and cumbersome with bags and customs and re checking in.

Cathay PE was disappointing. The cabin is lovely. The seat is comfy - get a bulkhead seat if you can. But really that's all the extra shine you get.

The food was horrible. The cups plastic! Wow. Wine in a plastic cup is just not done!!

Their is no shine in the service. Not like Qantas or ANZ where you feel like you are acknowledged for being in PE. It's clear the training of staff is to not do anything too special. Just enough...

The toilet issue is a real pain. Don't discount how handy it is to have your own toilet and not have to fight and wait your turn in line. Especially in the morning!!

I wasn't in Adelaide, I'd choose Qantas anyday and wait for their special prices that come out. If QF is within 25-30% of Cathay I'd QF anyday - even if I was paying. But I am in Adelaide. and so the convenience of flights and the timetable and the arrivals process just far outweigh for me the obvious omissions in the Cathay Product.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
92. Re: Cathay pacific premium economy

I totally agree with your comments. My friend and I (both close to 80 years old) booked the premium economy to Hong Kong and back, thinking it would be a smooth and lovely flight. On the way to Hong Kong our seats would not recline (both of them). The flight attendant also tried but we had to sit upright on the whole trip. We had paid dearly for these reclining seats so that we could get some sleep and relax. The food was mediocre, service minimal compared to other big airlines. We complained about the seats and were offered a $50 voucher each for our next trip! Well, there isn't going to be a next trip. We tried to get them to refund a small part of the ticket - but to no avail. All in all very bad service. I would not recommend the Economy Premium as it is much too expensive for what you get.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
93. Re: Cathay pacific premium economy

Funny enough, my wife and I were offered an upgrade on our flight to the US. Very tempting to fly business class..... No...wait....upgrade is only from Economy to Premium Economy? No thanks - we'd rather have six seats in economy rather than four in Premium Economy. We turned down the upgrade. I suspect they don't see that very often....but they should given the price/space differential.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,914 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
94. Re: Cathay pacific premium economy

Offered an upgrade from economy to PE for cash? I have never seen that from CX. How much did they ask for?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
95. Re: Cathay pacific premium economy

A few months ago flew MEL-HKG with CX in economy. About 5 days before the flight I receieved an email from CX Australia asking if I would like to upgrade to PE. From memory the cost was A$250 for MEL-HKG upgrade. I did not that this upgrade. Note that they only have 3 rows of PE seating now (this is a phased changed from 4 rows previously)

But, I did fly PE with CX last week (on points) and it is definitely a better product than economy, whilst not even close to their business class which is superior to most others. The seat and the recline are great - your own armrest (tray in the armrest) and a recline that is easy to sleep with. Also, noise-cancelling headphones are a great feature that are a nice touch over economy. Extra mileage earned and increased baggage allowance are also nice. For those wanting something a little better than economy, PE is nice but don't expect the world. I did feel that QF PE was better, but would not pay much extra for it (above a QF PE price).

Edited: 26 August 2014, 04:03
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
96. Re: Cathay pacific premium economy

Flew out of Adelaide to Hong Kong this morning and then, supposedly on to LHR. But the flight was 90 mins Late departing and of course we missed the connection. There were no ground staff to assist us at HK to tell us what to do. We walked all over HK airport for two hours until we finally found the correct desk. We were given the complete run-around by uncaring, unsympathetic beautifully smiling staff who couldn't give a damn. Upshot is we are now waiting ten hours for a flight to Tokyo with Cathay and then on to LHR with BA, ECONOMY class. We are supposed to claim a refund on our return to Adelaide. The flight to HK was OK but not worth the extra paid. All in all, my advice would be avoid Cathay Pacific at all costs! If something goes wrong you will be shafted with a lovely smile!

Cambs
Level Contributor
4 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
97. Re: Cathay pacific premium economy

I think one of the main advantages of PE on CX - or any other longhaul airline - is that you basically have more space and a more pleasant environment that in basic economy, which gets pretty grim at the end of a London to HK flight. I'm a longtime CX fan and I've flown all their options over the years. The check-in and food stuff doesn't bother me - its the comfort and the ability to get some sleep in the middle eight that really matters.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,234 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
98. Re: Cathay pacific premium economy

>>>But the flight was 90 mins Late departing and of course we missed the connection<<<

That is never an ideal situation, but it makes no difference what class you flew, you still would have missed your connection. So that particular situation isn't exclusive to CX PE

Edited: 30 August 2014, 12:35
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
99. Re: Cathay pacific premium economy

While I sympathise with your situation, I do not understand how you can spend 2 hours traversing HKG to find the transfer desks. There are plenty of 'beautifully smiling staff' standing around key areas to direct travellers to their desired location.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
100. Re: Cathay pacific premium economy

You must have been in a different airport!

Reply to: Cathay pacific premium economy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted