We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Emirates Airlines

After completing Business Class travel between Australia and Europe with this airline, I would suggest it takes some lessons from more established airlines e.g. Qantas, Singapore et al, in regard to professional service.

We found them to be very haphazard and lacking any system in their cabin service.

Not overly friendly either. Won't be using them again regrettably.

275 replies to this topic
Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Emirates Airlines

I always find emirates a bit of a dead loss. They're a skytrax 4 star, unlike etihad, qatar etc who are 5 star airlines. I actually find emirates quite a low 4 star, BA who are also four stars I find far better.

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Emirates Airlines

I had a terrible experience in Dubai en route to Australia on 17th December. I had booked my flight through a travel company so I thought all would be well.

When I arrived at Dubai airport desk having spent 3 nights in Dubai en route, I was told that the flight was overbooked, this is after me booking in February 2013. I am a female pensioner and I was travelling alone to meet with family who I had not met and could not get in touch with. The man at the desk told me to go to desk 52B with no directions as to where that was, when I found the desk I was told it's not this desk it's 56-60, no help what so ever. When I did get to the correct desk eventually I was told that they might be able to put me on another flight later in the day or the next day, to which I told them was not possible as I could not get in touch with my family who were meeting me. This caused me so much upset and stress that another gentleman passenger who was in the same boat as me but on another flight came up to me and said to me that I could use his phone anywhere in the world if I wanted, the trouble was I was that upset that I couldn't think of anyone's phone number. Eventually after going backwards and forwards to the desk I was finally able to get on the flight with minutes to spare and no help getting to the desk.

When I was on the flight I went for a walk to stretch my legs and I was the only female older passenger travelling alone on the flight but there were plenty of single men of all ages on the flight. I thought it should have been last person to book should have been first off.

Edited: 17 January 2014, 14:52
India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,277 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Emirates Airlines

''When I was on the flight I went for a walk to stretch my legs and I was the only female older passenger travelling alone on the flight but there were plenty of single men of all ages on the flight. I thought it should have been last person to book should have been first off.''

What does all this mean?

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Emirates Airlines

Read the whole of the complaint then you might see what it means. If your mother was stranded at a foreign country on her own how would you like it.

Edited: 17 January 2014, 16:08
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Emirates Airlines

Did you check in online?

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,277 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Emirates Airlines

I did read your complaint and yes its a pain to be overbooked by any airline and it does happen, but you were hardly stranded after choosing to spend 3 nights already in Dubai. EK got you on another flight and maybe with some form of compensation perhaps?.

But I dont see what plenty of single men on a plane has to do with anything and being the 'only 'older female, plenty of women fly solo all the time. Pensioner or not, if you felt in any way frightened or worried, which is what Im guessing at your alluding too perhaps could of alerted the crew.

However I can understand being stressed in an airport dealing with a situation and not being able to contact anyone. Maybe a lesson learnt there to always either have a mobile phone as my mother always has when travelling or numbers to contact family in situations such as this.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,900 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Emirates Airlines

Actually as a woman of pensionable age myself I find it excruciating that people drag out the "I'm a pensioner and therefore deserve special treatment" card. You were competent enough to travel across the world, spend 3 nights alone in a foreign country yet seem to expect that you should have received special treatment by the airline.

As Scotland scout says did you check in online? Maybe everyone else did check in before you.

In any case in a plane full of people it is absolutely NOT possible for you to know you were the "only older female passenger travelling alone".

Woolacombe
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Emirates Airlines

I travelled economy from London to Bangkok and I was very disappointed. I visit my sister in NZ often and have travelled with Emirates before. I was delighted to be using them again.

The food was only OK. Only one drink offered as commented on by another reviewer. The second meal was pretty poor.

The seatback entertainment system was tricky to use but I did manage to watch 2 or 3 films which were relatively modern. It used touch screen which can be difficult.

The most disturbing thing about the flight however was the attitude of the stewardesses.

Close to our arrival I attempted to put up my table but it would not clip back. I struggled for a while and the stewardess came by and said 'Put up your table'. I said that I couldn't do it so she said 'Try harder' and stalked off.

Another stewardess came and said put up your table and I said I couldn't. This one said that she could do without this at the end of a long shift. We ended up leaving it down but shuffling along to an empty seat because no one could get it up.

I would not now recommend this airline to any of my friends and will not fly on them again unless I have to.

Woolacombe
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Emirates Airlines

It is very difficult to check in online in a foreign country. You do not have a printer tucked in your hand luggage.

Furthermore try it in Christchurch NZ where they still have virtually primitive broadband access. I gave up after spending half a day fiddling about.

Woolacombe
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Emirates Airlines

Yes I am also a pensioner and very competent flying BUT not all pensioners are as world weary.

Reply to: Emirates Airlines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted