We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco-Amsterdam-Berlin

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco-Amsterdam-Berlin

I don't know if this forum deals with finding good air fare questions, if not, forgive me, and redirect mly 17e if some other forum does.

What I want to do is fly (with my wife) from San Francisco to Amsterdam on or about July 17, then fly back from Berlin to San Francisco on August 5 or 6. The dates can move a little, but I need to be there over the end of July, couldn't go before July 15 at the earliest or August 7 at the latest. I've checked Kayak, itasoftware, and airline websites (including Air Berlin and Lufthansa) and can't find a thing for under $1,600 apiece. Any thoughts?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,831 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco-Amsterdam-Berlin

It is relatively late to book for travel in July/Aug which is peak season for transatlantic flights, $1600 (around £1100) is certainly at the upper end of the prices I would expect to see but it's likely the cheaper fare buckets sold out some time ago.

I searched on matrix for your dates and couldn't find anything cheaper and my guess is that prices will only increase as the departure date gets closer - with your limited flexibility over travel dates you might simply have to accept it's going to be expensive.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,197 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco-Amsterdam-Berlin

You're looking in all the right places. Actually, that's a really good fare.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco-Amsterdam-Berlin

Thanks folks, it's good to know I'm doing the best I can! . I know I'm booking this late--my family's travel plans didn't solidify until pretty recently.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
517 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco-Amsterdam-Berlin

I, too, think that is a pretty good fare. And you know...the great times you will have and the fun memories of a surprise trip (meaning - not a year in the planning) will far outweigh a paltry few hundred you might have saved five months ago.

Bon voyage.

5. Re: San Francisco-Amsterdam-Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2014, 06:18