We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 a.m. check-in MAN, go back to hotel room?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
5 a.m. check-in MAN, go back to hotel room?

We have a flight leaving from MAN at 8 a.m. on a Sunday, late September. We'll be staying Saturday night in the Radisson attached to the airport. Our flight is Aer Lingus MAN-DUB-ORD and according to their website they recommend checking in 3.5 hours in advance (long haul) or 2.5 hours (short haul). Seems like we'd be long haul.

Regardless my question is, can we show up at check-in counter at roughly 4:30-5:00, turn in our bags, get boarding passes, etc, and then head back to hotel room for an hour? Is this wise? We are the kind of people who prefer to be on the other side of security early for ease of mind, but I doubt there will be much traffic this early in the morning.

Is it "required" for international flyers to check in that early? How long will it take to get through security in MAN early on a Sunday morning?

Thanks for any help!

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 a.m. check-in MAN, go back to hotel room?

I did this at Gatwick - went back to the Hilton for a much better free breakfast than I could have bought in the airport, but make sure the hotel has airport information repeaters - ie, you can see if there are any issues regarding your flight so you can make a quick dash back to the airport if they're boarding early or something.

Or else, as you say, get through into the lounge and have the best breakfast you can buy, read the newspaper and chill as best you can.

I'd always check in early - you never know what's happened to your seat choice and stuff until you get your boarding card. I've been moved to better seats, even ugraded, so you never know.....

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,560 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 a.m. check-in MAN, go back to hotel room?

"Is it "required" for international flyers to check in that early?" - Not required but recommended by airlines to ensure you complete check in/security etc and get to the gate in time.

" How long will it take to get through security in MAN early on a Sunday morning?" - Probably no more than 30 minutes.

I wouldn't bother going back to the hotel to simply sit in the room - check in, go through security and grab a coffee in the airport.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,784 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 a.m. check-in MAN, go back to hotel room?

The first sector is definitely not long haul. It only takes an hour to get to Dublin, actually the flight time will be about 45 mins.

I would say if you check in 90 mins prior that should be plenty of time to get through security and get to your gate. Even have a coffee.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,741 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 a.m. check-in MAN, go back to hotel room?

Also be sure to check your flight status before you check out of the hotel. I had a 6 am flight leaving Nuremburg once, so I stayed in the attached hotel - about a two minute walk to check in. As the hotel clerk handed me my receipt, I saw that my flight was delayed until noon on the monitor in the lobby. Turns out the inbound the night before had a mechanical issue and KLM had to wait for a part and mechanic on the first inbound of the day from AMS, so there was zero chance of getting out any earlier. If I had not checked out, I could have slept a couple hours longer rather than sitting in an airport for six hours.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 a.m. check-in MAN, go back to hotel room?

Thanks so much for your advice! I'm not sure what we'll end up doing, but checking in earlier seems the best bet to make sure our seats are all where we want them to be.

So maybe back to the hotel room or maybe to a cafe. Might leave it to that day and see how awake everyone is....

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 a.m. check-in MAN, go back to hotel room?

Agree with checking in 2 hours before the flight at MAN-unless the breakfast at the Radisson is included in the hotel cost would suggest you hold off until you get to DUB as you can get a full irish for about Eu9.95 per person if your connection time in DUB allows it

Edited: 19 May 2013, 15:48
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,146 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 a.m. check-in MAN, go back to hotel room?

You can check in and go back to your hotel for some more sleep as long as you haven't went through security. Once you've done that, there's no leaving the airport. Sorry, you probably know that already but thought I should mention it.

We have a 6.00am flight from Glasgow in September and booked into the airport hotel for the night before also.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 a.m. check-in MAN, go back to hotel room?

I totally forgot that I can check in online the day before. So by doing that I'd know my seat assignments, etc. I would still have to stand in line to turn in our luggage at Aer Lingus counter and then go through security.

By doing it this way, can we ultimately get to the Aer Lingus counter later? More like 6?

I guess partially what I'm asking is if there is a required amount of time we're supposed to show our faces before an international flight? I always hear about 3 hours prior to flight time.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 a.m. check-in MAN, go back to hotel room?

The aer lingus site shows the maximum and minimum check-in times.

Those who mention connection should also take account of the fact that tha is, presumably, pre-cearance etc, so your time to eat or do anything but queue may be limted.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 a.m. check-in MAN, go back to hotel room?

90 mins before your flight MAN-DUB should be fine then-don't know what time your Aer Lingus flight DUB-ORD leaves but sounds like you may be one of the lucky ones that can pre-clear US customs/INS at Dublin so you will be treated as a domestic arrival at ORD(saves a couple of hours) IF??? you are one of the lucky ones the process at Dublin took me recently only 25 mins beginning to end but would suggest you check with airline for eligibility of the flight as I did it UK-DUB Aer Lingus the DUB-ORD with AA