We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about Thomson extra room/ extra leg room seats

Nottingham, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Confused about Thomson extra room/ extra leg room seats

We have paid for the option of 1 seat with extra room (when we booked the holiday) but when we made a payment on line there was the option to upgrade to seats with extra legroom - this is where the confusion is, are the extra room seats the same as extra leg room seats? We paid for an extra room seat as we thought it was an extra leg room seat but there are both options on the holiday extras page. Not too sure of what we've booked now - or what we're actually going to get!!

Also how do we choose our seats? - I know about the select your seat thing - we're not too bothered about all sitting together but the extra room person wants a specific seat (!??!!) but when we go to do it it charges again for the extra room seat & we were under the impression that you once you'd paid you could just choose the extra room seat (never travelled with a person who wants extra room before - sorry!) can we just wait & take a chance at the airport & hope that they've got the booking for the extra room seat? & that they have got some left?

66 replies to this topic
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,185 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused about Thomson extra room/ extra leg room seats

There are extra legroom seats and extra space seats. Extra space seats are usually the emergency exit seats. The extra legroom are new, and are rows with more legroom. They are more expensive than extra space seats.

Nottingham, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused about Thomson extra room/ extra leg room seats

Thanks for your reply, that clarifies things a little better - do the extra space seats have more leg room than normal seats? One of our party is a giant - nearly 7 feet tall!! - so needs the extra room. Might try & swap it to one of the extra legroom seats just to be sure.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,185 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused about Thomson extra room/ extra leg room seats

Extra space are emergency exit seats, so no seats directly in front but as before, there are restrictions as to who can sit in them. As long as the people that want them conform to the criteria I would go for those with someone very tall. My other half if 6'6" and only has just about enough room with 34" pitch, which is what the extra legroom seats offer.

Nottingham, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused about Thomson extra room/ extra leg room seats

Thank you you've completely cleared up the confusion - we'll stick with what we've got.

A D
Prenton, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused about Thomson extra room/ extra leg room seats

Can anyone help me to clarify one thing? Do the "extra space" have the same leg room as the "extra leg room"? Thanks!

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
8,918 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused about Thomson extra room/ extra leg room seats

AD +3 says <Extra space are emergency exit seats, so no seats directly in front but as before, there are restrictions as to who can sit in them.>

A D
Prenton, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused about Thomson extra room/ extra leg room seats

Thanks, however, this was not the question - apologies if it was not clear - I was asking if the leg room was the same for both seats type or whether there was a difference. Thanks

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,185 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused about Thomson extra room/ extra leg room seats

There is more legroom in emergency exit seats, unless the window seat have the emergency exit slide 'bump' right in front of them.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused about Thomson extra room/ extra leg room seats

I've booked e xtra legroom for our 737-800 flight . . I booked on the phone direct with Thomson and was told this would be rows 15 or 16. Now from what I've seen on seatguru etc, rows 15 and 16 are emergency exit rows, so are these actually extra space? Confused. com!

If the extra legroom are not here and she's got it wrong, where are they? Does anyone know? Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confused about Thomson extra room/ extra leg room seats

Found this post through google. I have to say it's very confusing and Thomson should really make things clearer as there are mixed messages. I'm 6'5" so always prebook the extra legroom seats, went to book the seats online today and surprised find them in rows 3 to 5 on the right hand side for a Boeing 737 (the plane Thomson confirmed my flight would be), not rows 15 and 16 for emergency exits as I'd expected.

I called Thomson (0203 636 1790) after re-reading the options here (which suggests the seats with extra space are better):

thomson.co.uk/editorial/…travel-options.html

I called first and was told the seats I had booked were better than the emergency exit seats and that switching would be a downgrade so I stuck with it. But better the devil you know, I called back to switch to the emergency exit rows (seats with extra space), I was told the seat pitch was for the extra legroom seats 37-38", this is contrary to what I found here which says 33-34":

thomson.co.uk/blog/….U5rARihq12A

I'm not going away till end of August so won't be able to update what the actual difference is but hopefully what I've added is helpful.

Reply to: Confused about Thomson extra room/ extra leg room seats
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted