We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to book tickets on One Travel, Expedia, Orbitz?

Dubai, United Arab...
5 posts
Save Topic
Safe to book tickets on One Travel, Expedia, Orbitz?

HI,

I've been looking to book a ticket from Dubai to New York and wanting to avoid the heathrow transit, the cheapest option i get is Emirates Airlines from Dubai to Milan and American Airlines from Milan to New York.

The ticket price is in range of 1220$ but it is only on Orbitz, One travel, Cheap o'air. It isn't available on Expedia and kayak (which my friend only suggested to book from).

Can anyone recommend from past experience whether these sites are safe? I don't want to be paying 1200$ via credit card and find out I've been defrauded.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to book tickets on One Travel, Expedia, Orbitz?

Here's a radical suggestion....why don't you book direct with the airline? That way there will be no chance of being defrauded or problems when you may wish to change anything. Go on, you know it makes sense.

Edited: 22 May 2013, 05:27
Dubai, United Arab...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to book tickets on One Travel, Expedia, Orbitz?

Thanks for the quick reply MRMarcoos.

I did not mean to insult anyone's intelligence here or rather the system of booking through these sites!

I haven't done it before so i am a bit nervous naturally and would like to get opinion from experienced people like yourself who may have traveled a lot!

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to book tickets on One Travel, Expedia, Orbitz?

Book directly with Emirates...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to book tickets on One Travel, Expedia, Orbitz?

Book directly with Emirates...then you will have no issues.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,441 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to book tickets on One Travel, Expedia, Orbitz?

Fady,

There are numerous threads on this topic, some explaining the various tricks used by these third parties. So the bottom line is what the others wrote: always book directly with the airlines to avoid the hassles.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to book tickets on One Travel, Expedia, Orbitz?

I honestly don't understand everyone's replies here - I have booked with Orbitz and Expedia (can't speak for One Travel) dozens of times. You can often find cheaper fares, and Orbitz & Expedia are both well-known companies (check their T&Cs if you're concerned).

If you plan to make a lot of changes to your tickets, book directly with the airline. If it's a relatively straightforward trip, book whatever's cheapest.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,800 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to book tickets on One Travel, Expedia, Orbitz?

I would have no qualms booking with either Expedia or Orbitz but there's still a downside which is why people recommend booking direct.

Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
489 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe to book tickets on One Travel, Expedia, Orbitz?

I agree it's best to book directly with the airline if pos. However I have booked many times with Expedia and Ebookers when they were cheaper, without major problems. I got a refund from Expedia last year when the airline canceled the flight and a couple of years back, I even got a refund from Expedia for a hotel that I had to cancel when the booking was meant to be non- cancelable.

Choose a reputable online site (such as Expedia/Orbitz) and you should be fine.

Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
489 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe to book tickets on One Travel, Expedia, Orbitz?

If you are already doing this then fine but you ought to do this as one booking rather than two so that if you are delayed and miss your connection you don't have to pay for another flight.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,124 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe to book tickets on One Travel, Expedia, Orbitz?

Certainly avoid Cheapoair: there are dozens of complaints in this form about this shoddy company.

You may get a slightly cheaper flight by booking through (say) Expedia, but if anything goes wrong you can find that the booking agency and the airline each say that you should deal with the other.