We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monarch Airlines Hand Luggage Restrictions

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Monarch Airlines Hand Luggage Restrictions

Have flown many times with Monarch Airlines on scheduled flights where the hand luggage is 10kg max.

However recently returned from a trip whereby I used a charterd flight.

Outward journey no problem hand luggage weighed in at about 9kg, however on return journey I was informed at the check in desk that the hand luggage is 5kg max and had to check the bag in the hold.

No information of this restriction on my confirmation of booking form when booked through a company called Avro.

Can anyone tell me why there is a restriction on charter flights.

I can only assume there is more hold luggage on charter than scheduled flights

Thanks in advance

Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monarch Airlines Hand Luggage Restrictions

Hi Steve,

Hope this helps.

Scheduled flights:

monarch.co.uk/faq/flights/baggage/hold-check…

Charter:

monarch.co.uk/faq/flights/baggage/hold-check…

Margaurite

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,545 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monarch Airlines Hand Luggage Restrictions

It's up to the airline to decide how much hand luggage they allow on their flights. Most 'charter' flights probably do have more checked luggage, because in the main they are package holiday flights (with a checked luggage allowance already included at point of sale), so people tend to travel with more than if just travelling on business etc.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,723 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monarch Airlines Hand Luggage Restrictions

And do note that on scheduled it is 10k plus duty free bag or two small hand luggage totaling 10k plus DF bag (but the two bags rule does not apply to Luton)

All here,received by me yesterday for my forthcoming Monarch scheduled flight

"Important information regarding your hand baggage

Hand baggage – How much can you take?

(a) One piece of hand baggage no bigger than 56 x 40 x 25cm (there is a size gauge at the airport to check this) and no heavier than 10 kilos, plus a small duty free bag from the departure airport.

Or

(b) Two separate pieces of hand baggage, as long as the combined size is no bigger than 56 x 40 x 25cm and the combined weight no heavier than 10 kilos, plus a small duty free bag from the departure airport.

The free 10 kilos hand baggage allowance is on top of and not combined with your paid for hold baggage allowance.

There is limited space onboard, and we are sorry but on busy flights we cannot guarantee that we can fit all baggage in the cabin. Taking two smaller bags and placing one under the seat in front of you will help to avoid your baggage being placed in the hold.

Remember, size does matter!

If your hand baggage is too large and does not comply with the restrictions you can add a hold bag to your booking now by click here

At the gate, any oversized pieces of baggage will be placed in the hold and you will be charged £50/€60.

Whether you choose to bring one or two bags into the cabin, unfortunately, regardless of our policy Luton Airport only allow one piece of hand baggage. "

SS

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monarch Airlines Hand Luggage Restrictions

Thanks guys

Wakefield, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monarch Airlines Hand Luggage Restrictions

Your statement is contradictory, you appear to be saying that if I pay for 20kg checked in hold luggage I still get my free cabin allowance of 5 or 10kg hand luggage. Monarch clearly state that the two cannot be combined which in effect means anyone paying the fee for 20kg..........yes you are stating 20kg are actually only receiving 10 or 15kg because you are taking away these peoples free cabin allowance. Which one is it ?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,545 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monarch Airlines Hand Luggage Restrictions

Read silverswimmer's post again, or you could just read it on Monarchs website.

<<The free 10 kilos hand baggage allowance is on top of and not combined with your paid for hold baggage allowance.>>

C J
UK
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Monarch Airlines Hand Luggage Restrictions

Could you paste the link to this comment on the Monarch web site please, as I have looked all over for it and never found it,

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,252 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monarch Airlines Hand Luggage Restrictions

Have a look at the links in the first reply.

C J
UK
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Monarch Airlines Hand Luggage Restrictions

I think the only time it is mentioned is in the email sent to silverswimmer reply 3 and not on either of the links that Margaurite S reply 1 gave, check for yourself, you won't find it anywhere on their site!

The Important part I am looking for is "The free 10 kilos hand baggage allowance is on top of and not combined with your paid for hold baggage allowance" cant find that anywhere on their site !

Edited: 27 August 2013, 16:13
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,545 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monarch Airlines Hand Luggage Restrictions

I haven't looked through the links, but having flown with them most years, and sold enough of their flights, the information posted "<<The free 10 kilos hand baggage allowance is on top of and not combined with your paid for hold baggage allowance.>>" is correct.

Hand baggage and checked baggage are two completely different things, and everyone that has a seat is entitled to hand baggage allowance (5 or 10kg depending on whether charter or scheduled flight).

If people decide to book checked luggage as well, their hand luggage allowance isn't affected. No airline I know deducts hand luggage from checked allowance!