We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare for Asia Air

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Airfare for Asia Air

Hi,

We are currently looking to book flights from Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur in August. The price for Air Asia is 230 AUD and the closest price to this is Malaysia Airlines at almost 650 AUD. I am not familiar with either airline but 230 AUD almost sounds too cheap for a flight of that distance. Is there a particular reason why Air Asia are so much cheaper than other airlines on this route?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,325 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare for Asia Air

Air Asia is a low cost carrier similar to Easyjet or Ryan Air. Some people love them, some don't. I do!!

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,113 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare for Asia Air

As said, Air Asia is a budget airline and you don't get allocated a specific seat, no checked baggage, no food, no inflght movies, smaller seats and less leg room, no free water. You have to pay extra for all of these. Also, if you are travelling before early next year you will arrive at the Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) in KL. If you are on flying to UK you will need to transfer to the Main Terminal (KLIA) which is a 20 plus KM road trip, even though both terminals are on the same airport. A new LCCT is under construction as I type and this is currently expected to open early next yerar and will be much closer to KLIA and linked by light rail.

Malaysia Airlines is a Skytrax 5 star airline , one of only 7 airlines in the world that get that rating. www.airlinequality.com/StarRanking/5star.htm

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,949 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare for Asia Air

AirAsia is more EasyJet than Ryanair.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,113 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare for Asia Air

Forgot, except for taxes, there is no refund if you cancel with Air Asia and you cannot transfer your booking to another flight. If you miss your flight you may as well throw your ticket in the bin.

Read the terms and conditions in detail before booking.

Also if you are going on with Air Asia from KL to another destination and don't have a FLY THRU ticket you will need to allow at least 3 hours transit time in KL.

All this might seem a bit detailed but I am trying to answer all FAQs about Air Asia that arrise on the KL forum.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
24,339 posts
1,910 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare for Asia Air

Ive done many trips with AA and I highly recommend them.

Read the FAQs right hand side---------------> where this is all covered including AA questions.

Tommo

Brisbane
Level Contributor
368 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfare for Asia Air

This is a cheap fare but at the moment AA are having a 2 for 1 sale. That would explain the huge fare difference.

We have had a minimum of 20 flights with AA and also highly recomend them, as long as you accept it is a budget Airline. I love AA ...AA have enabled my family to travel to many places at bargain prices.

Happy Travels

Dee

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,801 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfare for Asia Air

Airasia prices go up by the day. If you want to take advantage of it book fast.

As they are budget airline, prices add up as you go through the booking sequence. Tickets, taxes, surcharges, luggage, meals, seat selection..etc

Brisbane
Level Contributor
368 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfare for Asia Air

This is a great cheap fare but at the moment AA are having a great 2 for 1 sale. That would explain the huge fare difference.

We have had a minimum of 20 flights with AA and also highly recomend them, as long as you accept it is a budget Airline. I love AA ...AA have enabled my family to travel to many places at bargain prices.

Happy Travels

Dee

Edited: 28 May 2013, 04:04
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,932 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airfare for Asia Air

yes, Easyjet vs British Airways!

You pay extra for more than 15kg luggage, food, drinks, entertainment (on long haul), seating selections etc.