We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United airlines compensation

W yorkshire
6 posts
Save Topic
United airlines compensation

Wondering if anyone knew if United Airlines have a contact number for customer services in the UK. I am struggling to get compensation from them for a flight delayed for 24 hours, they are claiming that because it was due to the airplane have a technical problem on its waty over to the UK so unavoidable. so no compensation. I am not prepared to accept this and so would like to pursue this, any advice on what path to follow would also be appreciated

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,263 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United airlines compensation

Here's the process you need to follow, if you aren't doing so already.

1) Complete the complaint form provided by the EU. Then send it to United together with a (polite but firm) cover letter requesting your compensation. And request a response within 28 days. Keep at least two copies of everything you send - …europa.eu/transport/themes/passengers/air/d…

2) If you don't hear a response, or you receive an unsatisfactory one, send the same complaint (all those copies you kept) to the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), who would investigate and give its judgement, which if in your favor they would also contact the airline and request payment. - …europa.eu/transport/themes/passengers/air/d…

3) But, that CAA judgement isn't binding on the airline, and so if they still refused you would have pursue the matter in court, so it would be off to Small Claims. You could also simply persist with the airline and bypass the CAA, and go straight to Small Claims.

Here's a site outlining your rights in these situations - airpassengerrights.eu/en/flight-delay.html

It looks like the United Customer Care web pages provide the ability to upload document scans, so you could send the EU261 complaint form that way - united.com/web/…default.aspx

Otherwise, their mailing address is - Customer Care, United Airlines, Inc., 900 Grand Plaza Drive NHCCR, Houston, TX 77067-4323, USA

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United airlines compensation

FYI: Since UA is an American Flag carrier and the flight was TO the UK and not from the UK, they're NOT bound to the EU regulation and are not required to comply with it.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,263 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United airlines compensation

Vegas-guide,

This was a thread re-opened by a spammer last night (hence all the compo threads being on page 2). The OP was from May.

Interesting that the spammed posts have been completely deleted from the threads, not just "This post has been determined to be inappropriate .....".

New York
Level Contributor
416 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United airlines compensation

Email customer care at United. United cancelled my return flight for the second time from Istanbul to Newark. We were rebooked on Lufthansa after calling the priority desk. I emailed customercare@united.com ( check the address on the website). Early October 2013. We did receive certificates for travel. Calling does not work. You need to email.

Salisbury, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: United airlines compensation

Hi

Can anyone give me advice!? My husband and I were due to fly to America via United airlines to visit my son on the 28th June. On the 22 nd may I had to have unexpected surgery on my spinal cord (1 weeks notice from MRI) my surgeon wrote a letter stating I was unfit to fly. We have tried to claim our £2200 back but the airline say they have not cancelled the tickets but just left them open for a year. My son is returning at Christmas and we are unable to get out there beforehand. Can they refuse to refund our money? Not getting anywhere awith them and we could certainly do with the cash since my operation

6. Re: United airlines compensation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 20:38
7. Re: United airlines compensation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 20:38
uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United airlines compensation

Claim on your travel insurance that's what it is for.

Deb

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,590 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United airlines compensation

If your tickets are non refundable you aren't entitled to a refund. You should have claimed off your travel insurance. That's what it's there for.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,144 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United airlines compensation

They are not obligated to refund the money. Giving you a credit to use within a year is pretty typical for canceling a non refundable ticket. You can try appealing to them to see if they'll make an exception but don't expect it.