We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Economy Plus seating - worth it?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
United Economy Plus seating - worth it?

Hi all - quick question, am flying United LAX->SFO, SFO->OGG (Maui), and OGG->LAX. The flight to SFO is only an hour or so, so I won't bother, but to/from Maui its 5+ hours each. Is the Economy Plus upgrade worth it? Looks like for two of us its going to be about $45 each way. How much extra leg room is there, and do you get anything else with this upgrade or is the extra leg room it?

Alberta
Level Contributor
689 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United Economy Plus seating - worth it?

I'm 5'2" and was recently seated in United Economy Plus. My feet did not touch the ground and it already felt like my seat was in the recline position! I did find it much easier to get to my bag under the seat in front of me though.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United Economy Plus seating - worth it?

Absolutely, I always buy E+ on our Hawaii flights, it definitely is worth my money.

Iowa
Level Contributor
12,414 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United Economy Plus seating - worth it?

Aloha MachThree

We travel to Maui every year and always book E+ at least for our red eye return. We usually have a stop off on the west coast then continue on to the Midwest, but even with just that first leg we would find it well worthwhile for the comfort factor.

However, we made a HUGE mistake last time OGG to LAX. We booked the front exit row seats, which it turned out do NOT recline! Unfortunately the seats in front of us did recline and they were in our faces the entire time. UA made no mention of that fact when we booked. Make sure you don't get these seats!

To make it worse, and just to rant a bit, we had an empty seat in our row and thought at least we'd be able to stretch out sideways. But at the last minute, flight attendants moved a very large person (who had not paid extra for her seat) with us. E+ seats have more legroom but they are not wider. I don't mean to be snippy, but it just doesn't seem right to have to share half of the seat you paid for with a stranger. We paid extra for the legroom because my husband is tall and his body needs it. If someone else's body is wide and needs extra room, perhaps they should pay for that as well.

Of course returning from beautiful Maui makes it all a little easier to handle and we can't wait for our return! Just make sure your seats recline if you book E+!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
183 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United Economy Plus seating - worth it?

Completely worth it. Plus, the flight attendants treat you better.

Iowa
Level Contributor
12,414 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United Economy Plus seating - worth it?

LA dude - we did not happen to get the better treatment on the flight I referred to above. :-( I think next trip I'll bring treats for the flight attendants! And we booked a wide body plane from HNL to ORD next time to get the two seat row in E+! Live and learn!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
183 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United Economy Plus seating - worth it?

Teri S., I would be upset about what happened to you with the person next to you.

I always check SeatGuru for the specific seats. Many of the E+ seats that they charge for have issues, and it really helps to make sure that the seats you are buying are decent. Exit row seats never recline if there is another exit row behind them. ;(

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United Economy Plus seating - worth it?

I recently flew Dub - IAD (7 hours) and EWR - Dub (6 hours). I found the leg room great - was able to put my cabin bag in front of me and place my feet on it for entire time (apart from take-off and landing).

It would depend on the configuration of the plane but my bulkhead gave almost 3 feet in front of me and did recline. I was amongst the first to be served and was off the plane BEFORE Business Class.

In my opinion it was worth the $90.00 each way. I didn't bother with the E+ for the internal sectors which were only 2.5 hours max.

Iowa
Level Contributor
12,414 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United Economy Plus seating - worth it?

Thanks Dude, I guess I need to get to know seat guru!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United Economy Plus seating - worth it?

For 45$ each way it's a bargain. The seats are reasonable whereas the economy seats are, well, cramped. Plus you get served first from the flight attendants.

I'm saying that because I'm reasonably tall and appreciate the extra seat pitch but I'd imagine for anyone over 5ft 9inches it'd be a real plus.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United Economy Plus seating - worth it?

Thanks all for the information - unfortunately it turns out I had read the info from United incorrectly. It was about $22 per person to upgrade for the LAX->SFO part of the flight, but SFO->OGG and OGG->LAX are in the $65-80 range for each of us. Seemed like a no-brainer if it was only going to be $22 each but for $65+ each, gonna mull it over some more.