We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Zealand to Netherlands and back

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic

Is it possible to make these long distances in short hops of say 4-5 hours and then break regularly? Can anyone assist, please? We cannot handle these 11 hour flights to our brother's 80th birthday. Thanks

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Zealand to Netherlands and back

yes, get a round the world ticket.

eg. Auckland-Rarotonga-LAX-NYC-Amsterdam-Dubai-Bangkok-Adelaide-Auckland.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,954 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Zealand to Netherlands and back

Er, realistically, no.

You can get from New Zealand to Sydney in about 4 hours, but from there to anywhere in SE Asia is a 7-8 hour flight, and from there to Europe it's 10-11 hours.

I suppose you could do Sydney-Cairns, Cairns-Guam, Guam-somewhere, somewhere-somewhere-else, and so and so, but it'll cost you an arm and a leg and be way less convenient with the security clearances and waiting around and potentially missing your connections.

Once you get on a a plane, and if you choose the right airline, class of service, etc, frankly an 11 hour flight is just as convenient (probably more so) as two or three 5 hour flights. You're in the air, relax and suck it up, you'll get there faster with (as best you can) direct flights. The best thing you can do is break your journey in a SE Asia city/country for a few days (Hong Kong, Bangkok, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, etc).

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,538 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Zealand to Netherlands and back

NZ to Melbourne. Melbourne to somewhere in Asia - KL, Singapore, Bangkok - depending on airline. Then Asia to somewhere in the Middle East - Dubai or Abu Dhabi - then on to Netherlands. Longest leg will be Australia to Asia - around 8-9 hours. Perhaps upgrade to Business Class for this leg?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,876 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Zealand to Netherlands and back

By the time you pay for all these separate flights you may as well cough up for business class and just go direct. Just choose an airline with lay flat beds , have a few wines and wake up somewhere else.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Zealand to Netherlands and back

Why not look at an airline like Emirates? NZ-Australia-SE Asia (eg Singapore, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur), Dubai, Netherlands.

I would speak to a good travel agent and see what they could do for you. Good ones are worth their weight in gold and, like lien said, might know of some good RTW tickets or something.

Also, perhaps check fares for premium economy class or even business, as able58 said? Might make the journey more bearable for you.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,592 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Zealand to Netherlands and back

Had some time so here goes.

Auckland to Sydney

Sydney to Perth

Perth to Singapore

Singapore to Delhi

Delhi to Dubai

Dubai to Istanbul

Istanbul to Amsterdam.

However this will take you about four days and cost a fortune against two 10 or 11 hour flights. I think doing it your way might take a lot more out of you physically and financially.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Zealand to Netherlands and back

" I think doing it your way might take a lot more out of you physically and financially"

plenty of relatively cheap alliance rtw's around. some with up to 15 stops and 39,000 miles.

and if u have the time, why not?

I have done it quite a few times.

Edited: 03 June 2013, 11:40
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,592 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Zealand to Netherlands and back

I would actually quite like to do this myself and spend at least 2 days in each stopover. Would be tiring I guess. Iens what is relatively cheap to do this?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Zealand to Netherlands and back

29,000 miles is around $A4300 with both major alliances.

34,000 miles around $A4900

39,000 miles around $A5700.

all can involve 15 stops.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,592 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Zealand to Netherlands and back

Thanks. So just over 3000 euros for the cheapest. Not bad really.