We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australia - Europe Direct.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Australia - Europe Direct.

I am not convinced Turkey is in Europe but it could speed things up...

news.com.au/travel/news/non-stop-flights-to-…

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,383 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australia - Europe Direct.

Technically Istanbul is half in Europe and half asia and since the airport is on the European side then I suppose they are within their rights to say so. Still a very long flight though.

Turkish have a good reputation airline wise too.

Orange, Australia
Level Contributor
154 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Australia - Europe Direct.

Sort of like Sydney-Dubai I guess... Still couldn't handle it. Too long on a plane for my liking. Handy if you can fly First/Business I guess.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australia - Europe Direct.

They will have to work had to convince people to fly that long in truth in one hit unless flying First or Business.

Either way still will go via Asia for now, so might be some time before the direct flights can occur.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,498 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Australia - Europe Direct.

Title is kind of misleading. They go to one place in Europe only. It's not like you can fly to Europe direct to the most popular places.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Australia - Europe Direct.

It's not like you can fly to Europe direct to the most popular places.>>>>

One day you will and most likely Aussies will jump at it if offered. However the economics may not be worth it...not enough Aussies to fill all the carriers flying out of OZ to European destinations.

Currently it is a choice of 8 hours then 14 hours flying, or 14 hours and 8 hours flying or 8 hours 8 hours 8 hours flying depending which Asian countries we transit through and which airline we fly with to get the the European country we want to land in.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
26 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Australia - Europe Direct.

Its an 18 hour flight, stuck in coach, not great. HOWEVER Turkish Airlines is the best EU airline regarding service etc the awards speak for themselves, skytrax being one, also Istanbul is a beautiful city with a lot of culture, less expensive more so than Frankfurt, Paris and London which I think are boring, concrete jungle cities lacking identity. This could and should work, They are defiantly pushing for a new Dubai. Go Turkey.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Australia - Europe Direct.

I presume if it shortens the travel time (not sure it does) it should work, I am willing to put up with a couple of hours extra discomfort for a faster trip..... depends on ccost also of course.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Australia - Europe Direct.

BA already fly SYD-LHR Direct.They do not however fly Non-stop,which is what the news story is about.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Australia - Europe Direct.

Istanbul is a beautiful city and TK is a very good airline, but I would never, ever do this in economy. Even business is pushing it... how long can you sit/lie down in one place?

10. Re: Australia - Europe Direct.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2014, 05:17