We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester Airport - Fast Track Security

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Manchester Airport - Fast Track Security

Hi,

Using terminal 2 again shortly and although last time I used the normal security channels I did hear from people on the same flight as me that they enjoyed almost 2 hours in a queue getting through security! I obviously missed it by arriving a bit earlier than I needed to too. This was an 8am flight.

Is it worth the £3.50 to fast track?

Next flight from T2 is 9am.

Thanks

125 replies to this topic
Bolton, Lancs
Level Contributor
148 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester Airport - Fast Track Security

We have done terminal 2 many times when flying first choice, we normally go premium so get fast tracked, but I have never seen any large queues certainly not 2 hours worth. I don't think I helps when none regular travellers forget that belts and all the other stuff goes through the scanners.

Terminal 3 is the worst I have seen, spent 40 mins the last time when going to jersey. In the end we ended up being pushed through as they were calling the flight.

Next flight for us is out of T1 with emirates.

Andy

Edited: 03 June 2013, 20:40
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,287 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester Airport - Fast Track Security

"Is it worth the £3.50 to fast track? " - For such a small amount I'd say yes, even if it doesn't save you a lot of time it will reduce your stress levels.

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester Airport - Fast Track Security

I can't imagine security at Manchester ever taking 2 hours.

In all the years I 've flown from there even at peak times it has never been close to two hours.

Check in for some of these charter airlines though is a different matter, I could easily imagine some one losing an hour or more there.

:-)

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,018 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester Airport - Fast Track Security

We had a couple of hour queue in T2 in 2007. We did priority check in about 2 hours before departure time, and only just made it to the gate. As a nervous flyer, the queue is something I won't forget. It did my nerves no good at all lol.

UK
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester Airport - Fast Track Security

I usually have fast track included in my ticket, but a week last Saturday flew to Faro with Monarch. I paid for the fast track and am so glad I did. It was terminal 2 and early morning. Our flight left at 7.35am. I thought we wouldn't have a problem at that time, but didn't take into account it was the beginning of half term. Security was awful.

Annan
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester Airport - Fast Track Security

Paying for fast track. As a traveller who's ticket normally includes fast track, I would be extremely disappointed to turn up at the fast track line to find that several people had decided to pay the meagre sum of £3.50 to be able to be prioritised. This is a problem that will escalate and will end up with those paying substantial amounts for their seats having to wait in queues, hence not getting the priority service that one should when paying for the privilege.

This seems to be an option in this country, but having travelled worldwide I cannot recall any other country offering this service to anyone other than business or first class passengers.

Edited: 13 August 2013, 21:56
Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
307 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester Airport - Fast Track Security

Your not in the 50's now mr where flying is reserved for an elite class. Every business has found there is a market for people who want to purchase extras such as this. I will take great delight in knowing im one of the common people who is slowing you down next time I book this service. If you dont like it, get a private jet.

Annan
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manchester Airport - Fast Track Security

Wasn't meant to offend but surely you must agree that passengers should not be paying for a service that should already be provided at an adequate pace to enable those travelling to get to their plane on time. This is the reason many large airports are having to provide direct access from the lounge areas to the plane in order to provide a better and more direct service to their business/first passengers. I do understand why you should react as you have but as you say yourself thats life, you get what you pay for, and we certainly pay for it in the UK.

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
307 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manchester Airport - Fast Track Security

I appreciate your resonse and I apologise for the sharpness while making my point. What I was trying to express though not very well, was that years ago, you booked a flight, you got a luggage allowance and your meal and drinks etc all included in the price of your ticket. You will probably find things like security fastrack, priority boarding etc all go down this same route as paid extras as airlines strive to stay competitive in the face of ever rising fuel costs, even for higher classes, while using things like flat bed seats and other elements to sell their products on.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,166 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manchester Airport - Fast Track Security

As a traveller who's ticket normally includes fast track, I would be extremely disappointed to turn up at the fast track line to find that several people had decided to pay the meagre sum of £3.50 to be able to be prioritised.

I'm guessing someone has run the numbers but £3.50 sounds extremely cheap for something that could save you a potentially significant amount of time. Would be better to surely price 95% of people out of the market if the whole point of the fast track is to make it, err, fast. As a premium cabin/elite status traveller one of the biggest benefits of travel are the premium lines, particularly at airports where they do it well routinely.

Reply to: Manchester Airport - Fast Track Security
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted