We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KLM or Air France Flight?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
KLM or Air France Flight?

I have been tracking flights to Italy for months and the prices just dropped so I need to book ASAP. The problem is that after reading a bunch of reviews about airlines and airports, I'm not sure which flight to book. Here are my two options:

KLM

IAD to AMS to BLQ- 2hr 25 min layover

Airbus A330 on long flight

FCO to AMS to IAD- 1 hr 10 min layover

Airbus A330 on long flight

Air France

IAD to CDG to BLQ- 4hr 10 min layover

Airbus A380 on long flight

FCO to CDG to IAD- 1 hr 30 min layover

Boeing 777 on long flight

I know the plane, time of layover, airport, etc.. all play into this decision. Your help is appreciated!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,890 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KLM or Air France Flight?

I prefer AMS for connections, but the A380 and the 777 to an A330. You know, since they are associated airlines, you could take one on the way there, and the other on the return. In that instance, I'd take KLM there and AF on the return. But that is just me... my preference would be driven by the shorter duration on the inbound trip.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KLM or Air France Flight?

There's a shorter flight offered by Air France with only 1hr 40 min layover but it seems that people think that is too short for a layover at CDG. I don't care so much about the way back but I want to make sure we make our plane on the way there.

Some people seem to really hate on KLM and say the baggage is likely to be lost. Would you be concerned about that?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
106 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KLM or Air France Flight?

I guess another question is whether 1 hour 45 minutes is enough time to transfer at CDG. I would be going from Terminal 2E to 2G.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,890 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KLM or Air France Flight?

Well, I think it is enough time.

There is a chance of losing bags with any airline... and it is about the same chance. Air France and KLM are really the same airline and they share baggage systems with other airlines. People may be referring to AMS baggage control but I wouldn't worry about it.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,531 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: KLM or Air France Flight?

When travelling, I personally would take the advice given to you above by Geo as gospel, particularly in regards to the shorter duration. The duration as scheduled does not take into consideration any possible delays, which could potentially add further duration to what is already the longer option.

My bias also is with AMS for connections - comfortably over CDG - and also that there's very little service quality difference which would notably stand one airline over the other IME.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: KLM or Air France Flight?

check out the reviews on the airline quality website but I've flown KLM a lot and never had a problem with baggage but in any case try to avoid Roma Fiumicino at all costs.

www.airlinequality.com

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,337 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: KLM or Air France Flight?

I would also go through AMS, I fly with KLM a lot and until now have never had a problem with luggage even on a 50 mins connection. It will be a faily long walk between gates but once you have cleared passport and security you can stop and have a coffee/drink and relax.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
596 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: KLM or Air France Flight?

I would choose to transfer in AMS. I think AMS is pretty user-friendly for connections. I can't say the same about CDG.

9. Re: KLM or Air France Flight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2014, 06:16