We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clear Bags For Liquids

Lancashire
Level Contributor
10,787 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Clear Bags For Liquids

I've seen that the clear bags you have to use for liquids in hand luggage are a recommended 200 mm x 200mm approx. How flexible are security on this, I've got some small resealable freezer bags which are only 200mm x 180mm, but i'd struggle to fit more than 3 x 100ml items in one of those. the medium bags are 260mm x 260mm would I be ok in using one of those do you think?

Best Regards - Taggy

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,821 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clear Bags For Liquids

" would I be ok in using one of those do you think?"

NO!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
32,851 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clear Bags For Liquids

You would need to use the small ones, buy some different ones, or get some from the airport. The bigger ones are nearly 2.5" too big each way. I use the 18cm x 20cm ones from Tesco. I get plenty in, but the containers are smaller than 100ml.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,821 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clear Bags For Liquids

of course, if you are checking a bag--just put most of your liquids in it!

Lancashire
Level Contributor
10,787 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clear Bags For Liquids

I'm not checking a bag otherwise i'd put all my liquids in that!

Makes you laugh when they say you can't carry more than 1 litre...no way would you get anything like that amount in those bags. I can understand the need for certain security arrangements, but feel this is a little OTT!

Best regards - Taggy

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clear Bags For Liquids

TAGGY its got to be the size they say & you are only allowed 1 bag & your right no way can u fit 10 100 mil bottles in it,

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
12,688 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clear Bags For Liquids

I manage to get masses of things in my clear bag but most things are well under 100 ml. I bought my bags in Target in the USA but you can usually get them at the airport before you go through security.

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
11,291 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clear Bags For Liquids

Hi Taggy, I was recently stopped and made to substitute a clear, zip locked bag carrying one tiny bottle of eye drops because it was 4cms or 1.574 ins larger than the approximate suggested regulation size of 20 x 20 cm.

Unbelievable I know but 'rules is rules' and even though they didn't measure the bag or the one that my eye drops had to go into, I realised that such an infringement obviously represented a major risk to air travel! Naughty me!

You may get a jobsworth so not worth risking it. Regards,

Jules

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,412 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Clear Bags For Liquids

Here's what I fit in my quart sized bag:

4 3oz bottles with shampoo, conditioner, body wash and face wash.

containerstore.com/shop/…

One or two travel tubes of toothpaste.

amazon.com/Colgate-Triple-Action-Toothpaste-…

1 1oz jar of face lotion

containerstore.com/shop/…

A couple of 1 oz tubes of lotion:

minimus.biz/Curel-Daily-Moisture-Original-Lo…

If my husband is with me, we take a second bag with things like shaving cream for him, hair gel for him, sunscreen, and a container of hand sanitizer. You can fit a lot in those bags if you pack strategically.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clear Bags For Liquids

Depends whether the airport requires you to take the liquids bag out to some extent.

Of the four UK airports I've used in the last week only two wanted the liquids out. The two US airports did want them out.

If you're not stuffing the larger bag full of bottles and it's an airport where you don't need to remove it then you might be fine.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
10,787 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Clear Bags For Liquids

In my hold luggage I usually take, 2 lots eye drops, Shaving Foam, Toothpaste, Shampoo, deodorant, Aftershave, Sun lotion and Aftersun. I'll be going for 4 days so will certainly need at least 100ml Sun lotion & probably a bit more, & I guess 100ml Aftersun too, as these are quite expensive in Benidorm compared to UK i'll probably take those & hopefully get smaller bottle of the other stuff & see what I can get in it. Can always buy deodorant & Shaving Foam there I guess. I'm struggling to find a shop that sells small bottles of After Sun though! Lol!

Best Regards - Taggy