We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

100,000 miles from Florida to Oregon?

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
885 posts
292 reviews
Save Topic
100,000 miles from Florida to Oregon?

I have over 100,000 points on a Chase Sapphire proffered card. I was under the impression that generally round trip domestic flights are around 25000 per round trip ticket. I just called Chase, and they said it would be around 100,000 points to fly round trip from Fort Myers Florida to Portland Oregon. They said it is based on the cost of the ticket. Am I missing something here? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. The dates we would like to travel are leaving Fort Myers on July 6th, and returning on July 18th.

DC
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 100,000 miles from Florida to Oregon?

If you had miles in an airline's program, you'd have a kind-of case to be disappointed. 25,000 miles in most airline programs gets a saver award (twice that for regular awards). You have points with your card, not miles in an airline program. Next time, read the rules before you sign up.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,626 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 100,000 miles from Florida to Oregon?

You CAN have miles in an airline program by just transferring the points from Chase Sapphire to either United, or Southwest. Then you can use those points to get a free ticket.

Also each 10,000 points equal $100 off your ticket and if you book on the Chase web site they bump it up another $100 off.

You can also get a cash refund for your next Visa bill .

It sounds like you did not really understand how to use the points. It is really a wonderful card.

I have it too!

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
885 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 100,000 miles from Florida to Oregon?

Thx Riff for your helpful response. So I guess it would be better to transfer the points and then book the ticket?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,626 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 100,000 miles from Florida to Oregon?

It all depends on the price of the ticket and what you'd prefer to do.

I'd go to the United and/or Southwest web sites and see if free tickets are available for your dates.

Sometimes they are available and sometimes they have sold all the free tickets and none are left since they only offer a small amount and some people book those free tickets a year in advance!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,626 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 100,000 miles from Florida to Oregon?

I just did a flight search for you.

The tickets cost a bit over $500 depending on which airline and where you change planes.

On the Southwest Air web site (the only place you can book a Southwest flight) they show that IF you use points the round trip ticket will use over 100,000 points.

IF you use some of YOUR points then you can get 1 free ticket and still have points left over since 50,000 points would equal $600 off the price of the ticket booked on the Chase site OR $500 as a credit for your next Visa bill.

It seems to me that the best thing to do would be to book the flight on the Chase/Sapphire web site and use your points to get the price reduced.

Good luck with your trip!!

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
885 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 100,000 miles from Florida to Oregon?

Thx Again. Very helpful

7. Re: 100,000 miles from Florida to Oregon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 05:18