We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TSA Ice/Gel Packs

MA
Level Contributor
114 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
TSA Ice/Gel Packs

I want to buy and bring my own live lobsters through security at Logan. Will they allow frozen gel packs? It is a short flight.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TSA Ice/Gel Packs

They made me take out my frozen gel packs for my baby's formula. There was no amount of begging (my baby wouldn't drink warm milk):(

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TSA Ice/Gel Packs

Seriously doubt if they will allow. But maybe packs of frozen peas can substitute.

On the other hand, will your package of live lobsters meet carry-on size regulations? And are live lobsters allowed?

MA
Level Contributor
114 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TSA Ice/Gel Packs

Yes, they are allowed. Legal Seafoods which is post security packs them for travel. They fit in the overhead bin.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,239 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TSA Ice/Gel Packs

Since legal seafood also shipslive lobster, wouldn't it be easier to ship them to your final destination instead of buying them after security and carrying them on?

What happens if you've got a low boarding group and the overheads are full by the time you get to board?

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: TSA Ice/Gel Packs

Lobsters have sharp claws. Obviously you are part of a domestic terrorist cell that has been training lobsters to attack airline pilots and seize the controls of aircraft. The NSA is on to your plan and it will fail. Even if this is not true, the lobster has nothing to lose by hijacking the plane and flying it to Cuba to ask for asylum.

Seriously, if they are packing them post security it should not be an issue as the ice has been checked and the lobster given a complete background check. My concern would be the four hour ground hold that makes them thaw out.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TSA Ice/Gel Packs

I'm not sure I understand the problem - if these live lobsters are purchased post security as per #3 aren't they packed ready to travel somewhere by the shop? Won't they already have ice packs or whatever is necessary?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TSA Ice/Gel Packs

I knew 'someone' who put fresh chilled lobster tails into his checked in bag for a short domestic flight.

bag didn't reach that destination but one in far north tropical queensland where it spent about a week before being discovered (and not visually).

not very pretty.

from then on 'someone' always took their fresh chilled seafood on board as hand luggage.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TSA Ice/Gel Packs

@lien -- love it!

Many years ago, my husband's uncle learned the hard way not to pack kielbasa sausage in his hold baggage, lol! He had to throw away the suitcase when it finally got to him weeks later! (Lobster would even be worse)

MA
Level Contributor
114 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TSA Ice/Gel Packs

Good point. We wanted soft shell lobsters and the fish companies won't ship them because they don't last as long as hard shells. Since we had a short flight, they were in the box for a total of less than 24 hours and were fine.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TSA Ice/Gel Packs

Gel packs included with the lobsters, as packed for travel by LSF, or ones added by you? Wouldn't it be best to call LSF? You probably aren't the first one to ask them how they pack them. TSA at Logan Airport must be used to that packaging, but adding your own (frozen) liquid could be different. The phone # of LSF in Terminal C is 617-568-2800; Terminal B, 617-568-2811.

You might also want to rent the movie, "Crustaceans On A Plane."