We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cathay Pacific or Malaysia AIrlines

Scotland
Level Contributor
224 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Cathay Pacific or Malaysia AIrlines

Planning travelling to Sydney next year. Have been quoted best prices with Cathay Pacific and Malaysia Airlines. Anybody have experience they wish to share please? We would be travelling economy class! Interested in seat comfort, food on board etc. We would be doing a few nights stop over in Hong Kong or K.L. depending on the chosen airline.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cathay Pacific or Malaysia AIrlines

They're both about the same in economy, but Malaysia has 30kg luggage allowance, whereas s

Cathay only gives 20kg. Malaysia fly the A380 between London & KL, if that interests you.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cathay Pacific or Malaysia AIrlines

As a stop-over city, Hong Kong would rank well ahead of KL - it is just a better city to be at for a few days. Cathay Pacific's entertainment system is probably the best around. Their economy seats are excellent also. I can't speak personally about Malaysian Airlines, but have only heard good things.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,648 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cathay Pacific or Malaysia AIrlines

I have flown regularly with both and both airlines are excellent. I would toss a coin and say Cathay, but not so much because of the airline, but I would prefer to spend a couple of nights in Hong Kong. You can't go wrong with either.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cathay Pacific or Malaysia AIrlines

Apart from the luggage, there's not much difference and flying economy is always something to be endured.

I'd be swayed by price, scheduling and stopover city.

Hong Kong, as others have said, is a great city. But I love KL too - such a diversity of culture and food and great shopping. It a real melting pot of Malay,Chinese and Indian with a rich history. I prefer it to HK.

Maybe check out the HK and KL forums and see where you would prefer to stay.

southern england
Level Contributor
359 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cathay Pacific or Malaysia AIrlines

I think you may need to factor in the stopover costs as part of the overall costings , the hotels in KL were cheaper when i looked last year.Flew with CX and stopped over in HK about 4 years ago,good flights and a great city.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cathay Pacific or Malaysia AIrlines

Both cities have a place in my heart and I love them for different reasons. Depends what you want to do on your stopover. The shopping is good in both cities, indulgences like massages are reasonably priced in both and the food, glorious food, is amazing in both.

KL is less frenetic than HK, but still has a great buzz. From HK, you can visit Macau or the mainland (Shenzhen, visa on arrival) as day trips. If you just want to chill, you can get a great 5 star hotel for under US$150/night and relax by the pool in KL. Good hotels are not as cheap in HK, unfortunately.

Perhaps you will make your decision based on what kind of stopover you want, or on which airline is cheapest. I do think MH offers great value with their A380 service from LHR and a whopping 30kg of luggage in economy, compared with Cathay's measly 20.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cathay Pacific or Malaysia AIrlines

I would make the decision based on where I would prefer the stopover as imo both airlines are on the same footing with regards to service etc.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,048 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cathay Pacific or Malaysia AIrlines

Bimdonesia said it all!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cathay Pacific or Malaysia AIrlines

Both are excellent airlines, both currently operate A330's out of between HKG-SYD or KUL-SYD and VV.

Malaysian have the A380's to London which for me is a big plus, and there is even talk of bringing in the A380 from KUL-SYD.

That being said CX has the advantage of more flights from LHR-HKG-SYD and VV then MH.

Scotland
Level Contributor
224 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cathay Pacific or Malaysia AIrlines

Thanks for all your replies. Reading reviews, Cathay Pacific economy seats seem to get a negative rating unfortunately. Anybody flown recently and experienced these shell seats - have they been modified on newer aircraft?