We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gibraltar airspace

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Gibraltar airspace

I have been reading travel guides as preparation for a potential visit to Gibraltar and have come across information which seems to suggest that Spain is attempting to restrict traffic through its airspace which is heading for or originated at Gibraltar airport.

If this is true, are the Spanish authorities not in breach of EU law which allows for freedom of movement throughout the European Union, of which Gibraltar is a part?

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gibraltar airspace

I guess you are referring to the new tensions on the topic related notably in telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/spain/… Spaniards have the impression they gave something away with nothing in return. In addition the 300th anniversary of British rule plays also a rule. Now does Spain has here a real power or only a nuisance one is an interesting question to which I don't have definite answer. But the country's position is not as strong as it was about 10 years ago, when the Cordoba Agreement was signed. And in between, BA bought Iberia...

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
518 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gibraltar airspace

Whilst Gibraltar is part of the EU, it is not part of the customs union so there is not a free movement of goods.....

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,164 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gibraltar airspace

And don't ask the Spanish about Cueta,their North African enclave.

Never mind about Pot,Kettle and Black!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,337 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gibraltar airspace

Interesting about Cueta. I only just learned about it recently as a new work colleague is form there.

5. Re: Gibraltar airspace

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2014, 06:17