We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easyjet; Hold Bagage Drop off At Gatwick -Very slow

hobnobs2
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Easyjet; Hold Bagage Drop off At Gatwick -Very slow

We booked a flight by Easyjet and got our boarding cards on line with our hold bags just being drop off. We arrived at Gatwick airport 1 hour 30 minute before departure and were amazed to find there were extensive queues for the hold baggage drop off which took just under 1 hour. Surely hold baggage drop is meant to be quick.!!!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,840 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easyjet; Hold Bagage Drop off At Gatwick -Very slow

,,,not if everyone has the same idea....sometimes the baggage drop off is longer then the normal check in 'Q's'

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,618 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easyjet; Hold Bagage Drop off At Gatwick -Very slow

"Surely hold baggage drop is meant to be quick.!!!" - More people are doing online check in in order to select seats or avoid charges imposed, where appropriate, for check in at airport etc resulting in bag drop queues growing longer.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,569 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easyjet; Hold Bagage Drop off At Gatwick -Very slow

"Surely hold baggage drop is meant to be quick.!!!"

Obviously that depends on how many desks are open in relation to how many people are looking to drop off bags.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easyjet; Hold Bagage Drop off At Gatwick -Very slow

It has got a lot worse than it used to be that's why you should never under estimate the time you need to be at the airport, I used to get there 2 hours before now i plan to be there 3 hours before a flight.

London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easyjet; Hold Bagage Drop off At Gatwick -Very slow

We arrived at Gatwick airport 1 hour 30 minute before departure and were amazed to find there were extensive queues for the hold baggage drop off which took just under 1 hour.

=========================================

One of those times must be wrong - you can't check in less than 45 minutes before your departure time, and the departure gate closes 25 minutes before departure.

So even if you had an absolutely last minute checkin, you'd have 15 minutes to get to and through security and to EJ departures.

However, it shows the importance of allowing plenty of time. Personally, I get there three hours before my flight (though when I flew with EJ in March, I had to wait 20 minutes before I could go to the desk (there was no queue).

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
32,796 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easyjet; Hold Bagage Drop off At Gatwick -Very slow

As Easyjet is now online check in only, the bag drop queues are bound to get longer surely?

You can't drop bags later than 40 mins prior, and for some destinations it's 60 mins. The boarding gate closes 30 mins prior, so your timings are a bit off somewhere.

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easyjet; Hold Bagage Drop off At Gatwick -Very slow

It should also be pointed out that some flights are more likely than others to have a lot of hold luggage being dropped off. I am going to Sharm from Luton and will allow 3 hours as we know its a holiday destination and most passengers will be using this system.

8. Re: Easyjet; Hold Bagage Drop off At Gatwick -Very slow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 13:52
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easyjet; Hold Bagage Drop off At Gatwick -Very slow

I'm surprised that you're surprised. The bag drop queue would only be markedly shorter than a check-in queue from before the days of online check-in if checking in online caused fewer passengers to travel with hold luggage. It didn't, and there's really no connection between the two things. I always check-in online if I can (it definitely gives you a better chance of getting a good seat and I think it reduces the likelihood of being bumped off an overbooked flight) but I don't turn up at the airport any later, unless I'm travelling only with hand luggage.

Edited: 18 June 2013, 09:28
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
32,796 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easyjet; Hold Bagage Drop off At Gatwick -Very slow

You can't buy speedy boarding any more, and it never included a quicker bag drop as far as I'm aware. Speedy boarding is now only available to certain people (those with flexi tickets, extra legroom or upfront seats, and Easyjetplus card holders).