We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates A380 Business class travel with Infant

DELHI
Level Contributor
14 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Emirates A380 Business class travel with Infant

Travelling from Delhi to New York with my husband and 19 month old infant who is taller than other kids in his age group. Planning to book on Emirates Business Class. They fly A380 from Dubai to JFK. But many reviews are against Emirates A380 business class. Would the seat be comfortable/wide enough to accommodate me and my child. Or would any other airline be better in terms of space and comfort? Would be grateful if someone can post a quick reply as I need to get the bookings done.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,649 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Emirates A380 Business class travel with Infant

Seatbelt hook ups and bassinets for infants.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,146 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Emirates A380 Business class travel with Infant

I've never used bassinets on any of the US airlines, but with seatbelt hook up, the above is quite correct.

Perhaps that maybe why the CARES system was approved very quickly by FAA.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,649 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Emirates A380 Business class travel with Infant

I love my CARES harness.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,146 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Emirates A380 Business class travel with Infant

I do too, it has completely changed the way we view travel with an infant, and we only stumbled across it on the Qantas website. The convenience is simply second to none.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,085 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Emirates A380 Business class travel with Infant

I don't fly with small kids anymore (thank the angels) but I think Post #6 is unbelievably pompous.

Good luck IBTEDA..hopw you figure it out.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,918 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Emirates A380 Business class travel with Infant

Our of curiosity to those who use the CARES harness. It fastens around the BACK of the chair and over the tray table. ( as far as I know) --or the individual screens--What happens when the passenger behind you wants to eat, or watch a movie?

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Emirates A380 Business class travel with Infant

I've never used CARES but I just watched a video about how to use one on the Qantas website. It showed the tray table being lowered and the strap going around the seat before the tray table clips back into place.

I don't know how it would work with seat back IFE. It may depend on the height of the child exactly where the strap goes? Perhaps if a child is small enough to need this the strap would be lower than the screen.

While I would always put the safely of another person above my chance to watch a movie I would be a bit miffed if someone sitting in front of me blocked my screen. This happened on a recent flight when the lady in front of me repeatedly dangled her scarf down the back of the seat. The first few times I assumed she didn't realise what was happening but then she stood and positioned it so that it draped across the back of her seat and completely covered my screen. At this point one of the cabin crew appeared and told her she needed to keep her belongings in her own space - very odd.

Incidentally how do those who recommend the use of car seats (I've never seen a car seat on a plane) attach the car seat to the chair? Is it just the normal seat belt? If so does that really hold the car seat in place securely?

uk
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Emirates A380 Business class travel with Infant

I can't speak for all US airlines but AA certainly allow and provide bassinets on (some of?) their flights.

The CARES harness is good and something I may look into but it obviously doesn't work on business class seats.

Additionally in BC I'd rather have my baby on my lap than in her own seat, if cabin pressure was lost, how is she going to put on her oxygen mask - it's not as if you can just lean across and help them as you would in EC.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Emirates A380 Business class travel with Infant

I love the way those looking for offence find it,

When I made post 6 I simply meant that business class is designed around someone travelling on business - willing to pay more, yes, but also wanting a laptop plug, privacy to work, silence to rest ... it was not some snooty remark as some of you have presumed.

Designing a cabin and a seat for a business person flying alone and wanting to rest or work is not going to give you the same result as designing a cabin for couples who want to talk, share one TV screen or "read to each other" (we've had this conversation before) or families wanting to fly with thie children seated very close - ie in the adjoining seat. That's why I suggested an old-fashioned business class, with big chairs, not pods, or a good premium ec. Either of those options would be better for mum and kid than a business class pod.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Emirates A380 Business class travel with Infant

Johnb, I don't agree that >>business class is designed around someone travelling on business <<

Maybe it was true years ago when the business cabin was first introduced, but not so now.

It is a cabin designed to provide more space, greater comfort and more little extra luxuries for those who have more money (or points) to spend on a ticket.

What about the mother who has to travel on business and chooses to take her baby with her? Is it OK with you if she travels in Business Class?😉