We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 787 Dreamliner really safe?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is 787 Dreamliner really safe?

I was on a United flight from Denver to Tokyo on the newly reinstated 787 Dreamliner today when it developed "engine trouble" and we had to turn back and make an emergency landing at Seattle. United is working on getting us rebooked on another plane out to Tokyo tomorrow. If its on another 787, should I take the risk? This is alarming because with all the attention on the 787, you'd think the plane should have been in tip top condition before they let it take off.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,894 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 787 Dreamliner really safe?

Well it probably was in tip-top condition before it took off. Do you seriously believe a major airline would just let a plane take off with a known fault that could cause it a major problem?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 787 Dreamliner really safe?

Do you really think the airlines, authorities or manufacturer would let an unsafe plane fly?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,430 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 787 Dreamliner really safe?

I don't think our answers matter at the end. If we tell you the plane is unsafe, would you not fly it? Or if we tell you it's safe, why should you trust us? We don't qualify to give you an answer that means anything. You have to judge for yourself.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 787 Dreamliner really safe?

It's been flagged on United's FlyerTalk pages as an "indication of a problem with an oil filter". Nothing to do with the batteries. In fact, the plane is flying SEA-NRT tonight (were you on it) to pick up the NRT-DEN pax it was due to fly back (who will be hopelessly delayed).

flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileageplus-conso…

Edited: 19 June 2013, 04:52
Madrid
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 787 Dreamliner really safe?

Oil filters have magnetic chip detectors fitted to the system,to monitor minute metal particles in the oil,which may be an indication of possible high engine wear.The chip detectors occassionally get spurios warnings caused by other things,or sensor malfunctions.

Most engine manufacturors require that in the event of a chip detector indication,the aircraft engine is run at idle until landing,or shut down if other indications (such as high oil temp,low oil pressure or high engine temp) are also present.

If this occurred soon after take off,it would just be prudent to return and get the engine inspected,but this could have happened on any aircraft type and is not a specific B787 related event.

Cairo
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 787 Dreamliner really safe?

I was due to be travelling on an 787 from Houston to London next week and have changed my flight as to avoid the 787, why even consider taking the risk when there are more reliable planes? I think if passengers vote with their feet then things will improve, even if it means taking the plane out of service to fix these problems for good!

Edited: 21 July 2013, 04:35
Ramsgate, United...
Level Contributor
288 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is 787 Dreamliner really safe?

That 787 must be the most tested plane around.

.....and probably the safest!

Some of the planes I've been on, inc. ones from some major carriers, frighten me when I see their condition inside AND outside.

The first plane I flew on, a Dakota DC3, looking back was (very many years!) an accident waiting to happen!

It didn't happen.

It was the same year that Buddy Holly died in a plane crash - that helped a lot!!!!

Flying from A to B is the best way.

....and I still get frightened - have you seen some of those Air Hostesses?

Hugo

8. Re: Is 787 Dreamliner really safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 05:16