We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sky bed on air New Zealand long haul

Australia
Level Contributor
563 posts
Save Topic
Sky bed on air New Zealand long haul

Hi. Is sky bed worth extra money in economy class? What does it give you? I really need to attempt to lie down to sleep on flights - will it aid this at all? How does it work if 3 people travelling - does it give you an extra seat for 2? Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sky bed on air New Zealand long haul

Is sky bed worth extra money in economy class?

Depends on the price, which depends on the flight. I think it can be, especially for an adult with a child.

What does it give you?

It guarantees three seats for one, two or three travellers. Beyond that, the Skycouch means that the gap between the seat and the seat in front has a legrest that folds up to form a flat surface all the way from the aisle to the window. More info is here www.airnewzealand.co.nz/economy-skycouch

For one person it means you get three seats to yourself with a flat area that is good to sleep on. For two people the same, but it depends on your size as to whether that works well. For three people it is pretty pointless, unless you book two Skycouches, which isn't cheap, as it basically it means you only get a foldable legrest that does little, as you cannot have three people lying down (unless it is an adult and two very young children).

I really need to attempt to lie down to sleep on flights - will it aid this at all?

Great for one person, or one person with a child, two adults it isn't so good because there is little room to move, and it is ruined by the people in front reclining.

How does it work if 3 people travelling - does it give you an extra seat for 2?

No, although you can book two Skycouches it isn't cheap to do so.

I'd also look at Premium economy, as it gives you a lot of space, but isn't flat, although you can bid for an upgrade to business premier if you book through the Air NZ website, and see how it goes.

Australia
Level Contributor
563 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sky bed on air New Zealand long haul

Thanks so much for your detailed response. Looks like not worth it for the 3 of us as daughter is 17 yo. Premium economy is just soooo expensive. Looks like I might just have to bear with it. Deciding between air nz or Cathay for long haul Perth to LA with overnight stopover in hk or Aukland. Any thoughts re comfort of flight??

London, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sky bed on air New Zealand long haul

Bear in mind you can still bid for an upgrade to premium economy from economy if you book with Air NZ direct, as long as it is 7 days in advance of travel.

4. Re: Sky bed on air New Zealand long haul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2014, 05:16