We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canceling an Alitalia non-refun

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
Canceling an Alitalia non-refun

Trying to cancel an Alitalia flight due to two schedule changes that impact my trip. My ticket is nonrefundable (stupid me...booked before I knew the ins/outs of airfare rules).

Best way of going about this?

I would like to eventually rebook, I just don't know what my future dates are, so don't want to pay a 250 euro change fee to dates I'll probably need to change again.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canceling an Alitalia non-refun

It's simple.

Either sort out some future dates that you would stick with and pay the 250 euro change fee - or lose all you've paid for the non-refundable non-cancellable ticket.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,648 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canceling an Alitalia non-refun

If you cancel a non refundable ticket you normally lose all of it's value - you need to talk to the airline to find out your options.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canceling an Alitalia non-refun

So there's no recourse for changing a ticket, even if the reason for the change is two schedule changes that negatively effect a ticket?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canceling an Alitalia non-refun

How much was the schedules changed?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canceling an Alitalia non-refun

Not much, but significantly in two respects:

1) The TATL reduces my connection time from Rome to Sicily.

2) I was traveling with a group and we were all meeting in Rome. Now I'll miss that meeting.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canceling an Alitalia non-refun

Those may be significant to you, but they signify diddly squat to the airline ( assuming that your connection in Rome was either a home made one, or that if its one ticket, you are still within minimum connection time. )

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canceling an Alitalia non-refun

Guess I'm screwed ;)

Guess I'll pay the 250 euro and change to a made up date which I don't know if I can keep. Great.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,648 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canceling an Alitalia non-refun

"Guess I'll pay the 250 euro and change to a made up date which I don't know if I can keep." - In addition to the change fee you'll probably also have to pay a fare difference fee, the difference between what you paid originally and the current fare for the new dates.

If you subsequently cancel the new dates because you don't know you can keep them it's starting to get expensive.

southern england
Level Contributor
247 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canceling an Alitalia non-refun

Surely your holiday travel insurance should cover this?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canceling an Alitalia non-refun

Agree with Tom, I'm guessing you haven't actually called the airline to find out what the fee to change is in total. Might be many times more than the 250, that's just your starting point.

How long was the change? You may get lucky, if its beyond a certain limit, not sure what, , you may be eligible for a full a refund.

I'm intrigued how a "small change" means you miss a group and its not worth taking a flight to Sicily though? Surely if it was only a couple of hours, all you've missed is seeing some people for a couple of hours at most, and you might have missed that anyway with an everyday delay of that long? If your plan was to land, head into Rome, see some people,then head back to airport, and the change has stymied that, that sounds more like an 8 hour change. So I wouldn't assume you are not eligible for a full refund.

Unless you are missing some vital details out ...... Which is often the case here :-)