We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Violins not allowed as carry-on luggage

Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Violins not allowed as carry-on luggage

Virgin Atlantic Airlines' website states that carry-on luggage must be no larger than 9 x 14 x 22 inches. My violin is 31 inches in its case and cannot be checked in. The violin itself is 23.5 inches. This means I can't travel with it. Have other musicians encountered this before?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,135 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Violins not allowed as carry-on luggage

Hi

You are probably forgetting about the fifteen years or so of training before you make a penny. Musicians don't just arrive fully qualified and ready to play.

Jackie

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,694 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Violins not allowed as carry-on luggage

"With all respect, I doubt that the valuables which you mention can take any comparable space."

No they do not fill a violin case, BUT they are in my legal sized carryon that will not fit on the plane when others have taken twice their allotted space.

BTW I find the FAA law change to be inane. I wonder, when reality sets in and others are forced to suffer--how long the screaming will last before it is changed back. But reread this part carefully

"... without charging the passenger a fee in addition to any standard fee that carrier may require for comparable carry-on baggage ….”

It does not say NO fee for an oversized carryon, it says nothing above the required fee for comparable carry on luggage. So--if an airline allows a larger bag for extra $$ they can require the same for instruments. I see this opening up a whole new fee structure, Smaller free carry ons and charging EVERYONE for larger items.

Edited: 26 June 2013, 18:15
33. Re: Violins not allowed as carry-on luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 June 2013, 20:05
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,135 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Violins not allowed as carry-on luggage

Not me, I like controversy, especially when I'm right.

Jackie

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
20,190 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Violins not allowed as carry-on luggage

"I like controversy, especially when I'm right"

___

Oooooh, controversial! ;-)

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Violins not allowed as carry-on luggage

I have often carried my violin on domestic flights (insured). And about 5 years ago I carried one (not my nice one) on an international Lufthansa flight. I've never had a problem. But things are always changing in the airline industry.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,829 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Violins not allowed as carry-on luggage

<A musician is special, just as is an artist or an inventor. People who make the drudgery of everyday better to my mind are special.>

What? I'm an incredible cook; but I don't get extra space in the bins to bring pots and pans. I am very special and talented in several fields. Does that mean those people are so special they get more room for their stuff? There are plenty of musicians who are terrible, artists who aren't successful and inventors who've never gotten a patent. What in the world does that statement have to do with air travel? I don't get it...

If Virgina Atlantic doesn't allow OP's violin due to size, she needs to make other arrangements without infringing on other pax rights.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,135 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Violins not allowed as carry-on luggage

Surely an incredible cook is an artist. A great cook is one of the special people who enhance lives. So a chef taking his knives across borders is fine by me.

Jackie

39. Re: Violins not allowed as carry-on luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2013, 15:35
kentucky
Level Contributor
5,829 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Violins not allowed as carry-on luggage

<So a chef taking his knives across borders is fine by me.>

Not fine by TSA if you're referencing air travel, which is the subject of this forum. Not sure who protects your borders but I can guess that would not be permitted. I've see Gordon Ramsey go thru a "snit" or two--certainly don't want him armed. Mario Batali is hardly the guy I want to wrestle a cleaver from in an altercation on board.

Gerard Depardieu is known for not-so-nice behavior when flying--and he's an actor (does that automatically make him an special?)