We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change Air Asia flight

Wellington, New...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Change Air Asia flight

hello, my sister and i booked a one-way flight from Melbourne > KL with Air Asia for next month (July 2013) but unfortunately have to change that flight to Dec - we'r actually heading to Europe but as its very known, Air Asia is real cheap. Our flight agent booked it for us but he's unwilling to tell us the change fee. Does anyone know what it is? He's told us that flying in Dec is about double what we originally paid but this is excluding the change fee. please help... thanks

Perth
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Change Air Asia flight

You can only make a change to an Air Asia flight if you purchased a ticket that allowed this. On you ticket it should state what type of fare it is, either Promo, Regular or Premium.

Promo fares (the very cheap rates) allow no changes at all to be made. if you can't fly you forfeit the ticket.

Regular allow changes to be made, last I heard it was $100 per person plus whatever the fare difference is.

Premium no charge for change, just any difference in fare price.

It does sound like you may have got a Promo fare which is why he doesn't want to tell you any change rates (as there isn't any).

Just log onto the Air Asia web site, type in your new dates and see what rates you get. Also they do sometimes have a sale around August so if you register on the site you will get an alert when a sale is coming up.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Change Air Asia flight

I can't understand why your booking agent won't tell you what the charge is or the complete new price, as Westaus says check out the Air Asia website for prices and get back to the agent and insist he tells you what you have to pay to change the booking.

Level Contributor
803 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Change Air Asia flight

Follow advice from both above.

If you have a 'promo' or 'sale' fare though it is, as stated, usually not refundable and if not used is forfeited.

It is often cheaper to just buy another fare from whomever now has the cheapest fares available (not necessarily the company you bought the initial fare from).

I would be asking the agent what his issue is!

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
893 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Change Air Asia flight

All fares on Air Asia are changeable. The price is around MYR 80 PLUS the difference between the fare you paid and the fare on the day you want to change to.

As Air Asia fares change each day the PLUS can vary. In December and the first week of January the fares are much higher than the rest of the year so the add on will probably be substantial. The sooner you pick your Decmeber date the better.

By the way if the change date is to a lower fare you do not get a credit (the tem they use is wastage and you lose it.)

If you have your booking number you can do it all online yourself. Do not worry about stuffing it up as you do not acutally change your flight until you make payment at the end.

AA are quite good on changes when you understand their policies. There are no refunds but then again most full service carriers are no refund as well unless you buy the super expensive fully lfexible fares.

if you are having problems PM me and I will see if I can help.

One additional thing you will have to consider is the cost of flying KL to London. Sometimes that is not much cheaper than flying from Australia. ( not sure how it works from NZ)

cheers

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
893 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Change Air Asia flight

I change promo fares all the time without problems. The change fee system still applies.

Because of the size of the change fee it is generally only worth changing long haul flights. Intra Asia ... you may on many occasions just as well buy a new ticket.

As I said in the previous post just go through the "modify my booking" process and the fees will become apparent.

Edited: 28 June 2013, 08:34
Penang Island...
Level Contributor
893 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Change Air Asia flight

Just looked up the change fee for Mel-KL it is A$50 PLUS the flight cost differential.

cheers

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
893 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Change Air Asia flight

That is A$50 per section so if you want to change the return leg as well it is A$100 plus the fare differentials

cheers

Level Contributor
803 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Change Air Asia flight

Hi El-Dorado_Traveller

The A$50 per sector can add up quite a lot per sector, especially if you are paying more than one person's fares and the basis you are flying with a discounter is directly for the CHEAPEST airfare... hence my advice that it is sometimes cheaper to just purchase another airfare.

I agree you can change any flight by paying a fee however this can be quite costly when you start mucking with genuine promo or sale fares.

It's great to know all the options though for sure! Thanx.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,699 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Change Air Asia flight

I would certainly check the price of a brand new flight first, before paying to change your original booking, as it may be cheaper.

I'm changing my Air Asia flight & flying a month later. The original flight cost £74, the cost of the change is an extra £119 on top of what I've already paid, so I'm just keeping an eye out for any sales at the minute, to see if I can get a brand new flight cheaper.

Montreal, Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Change Air Asia flight

Hey! Thanks for your help.

When I go to my AirAsia profile to change my flight date, the total sum comes up to the same amount as I initially booked (+ the changing fee). I'm just worried to pay for the flight twice. Will the deduction of the first flight only appear once I confirm everything?

I've emailed them with this question and still no reply. I also did an online chat session but the rep didn't understand my question and closed the chat.

I initially paid ~330$ USD and when changing the date I am charged ~360$ when I should technically only get charged the 70$ changing fee.

I'm just worried of paying for everything twice! Any help?