We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hand luggage

Doncaster, United...
1 post
Save Topic
hand luggage

I have just got a new ulra lightweight case but the handle at the top makes it a few cms more than the allowed measurements will it be ok., if I take a zipped up light bag inside it could I transfer my things out of the case as it would be cheaper than booking it into the hold or a fine.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,545 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hand luggage

"I have just got a new ulra lightweight case but the handle at the top makes it a few cms more than the allowed measurements will it be ok"

Airlines include handles/wheels so if it's "a few cms more" then it's too big but the enforcement of policy varies from airline to airline so you might get lucky but then again you may not.

It depends on what you mean by "a few cms" - if it's 1 cm you should be ok but probably not if it's 10cm.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,294 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hand luggage

What would you do with your new bag though? Which airline?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hand luggage

We're you planning to just abandon the new case at the airport if challenged ? If so then obviously yes you are completely at liberty to do that, why wouldn't you be? if need be put the case on top of a wastebasket so you aren't accused of littering.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,545 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hand luggage

"We're you planning to just abandon the new case at the airport if challenged ?" - Abandoning a bag at an airport might not be a great idea recalling the number of announcements about not leaving bags unattended.

Any bag just sitting there even if next to or on top of a wastebasket is bound to attract attention.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hand luggage

A good point Tom.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
10,301 posts
3,004 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hand luggage

I have Never seen a lady challenged for the case you cite.

Most US gate agents can't count or measure anyway.

Go for it.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hand luggage

But English ones can.

Jackie

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,476 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hand luggage

"I have Never seen a lady challenged for the case you cite.

Most US gate agents can't count or measure anyway."

How do you know the OP is travelling to the USA? Hand luggage is widely measured to ensure it complies when travelling in Europe. It isn't wise advising people they will get away with oversized luggage.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,517 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hand luggage

Savantill_11 it happens regularly in the US. From your other posts it sounds like you fly mainly business class, so maybe you do not see it. But in econ, if the plane is full and the gate agents expect the overheads to be full, they often flag oversized bags as you are boarding the plane and tag them to be gate checked. They don't give you an option. They just do it.

Also note you are boarding at the end and the overhead is full then any bag that won't fit under the seat gets gate checked. And many of the smaller regional jets don't fit even regulation size bins so any roller board gets gate checked.

And that's all in the US. As sunmagic just posted, they are stricter in Europe. It really depends what airline you are flying and where, but anytime you use an oversized bag, you are taking the risk it will be gate checked..

It always helps to have any critical items in a small bag that you can easily remove and take on the plane with you if your bag is gate checked. If I'm doing only a carry on and don't have any kind of boarding priority or status, I always do that.

10. Re: hand luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 07:19