We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No free checked bags on BA, US-UK flights??

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
45 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
No free checked bags on BA, US-UK flights??

I fly Boston to Heathrow tomorrow morning and checked in online. According to the online system it told me the allowance for checked bags on this flight is ZERO. They wanted to charge me $60 extra for one checked bag. However, when I check the online details more generally on the BA website (ie: outside the online check-in system) it seems like even the World Traveller Economy tickets come with one free bag. What's the deal? Anybody traveled that route recently with info to share? If I can avoid having to cram everything for a 2 week trip into one cabin bag it would be great, so quick replies would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,287 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No free checked bags on BA, US-UK flights??

Sounds like a website error to me. You should definitely have a checked baggage allowance.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,166 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No free checked bags on BA, US-UK flights??

Definitely an error. BA's hand baggage only fares are on select shorthaul flights from Gatwick.

britishairways.com/travel/…

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
45 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No free checked bags on BA, US-UK flights??

Thanks to both of you for the rapid replies. I'm hoping this is going to turn out to be an error with the "Manage My Booking" system, but it does make me wonder what is going to happen when I get to Boston tomorrow morning...

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No free checked bags on BA, US-UK flights??

Is it a BA flight? Or a BA ticket but you are flying on American?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
45 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No free checked bags on BA, US-UK flights??

Its a regular BA flight, BA 238

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
665 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: No free checked bags on BA, US-UK flights??

Yes, you get a free checked bag.

I don't remember the check-in form. Is it possible the form is asking How many checked-bags-that-cost-money, rather than How many checked bags?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,166 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No free checked bags on BA, US-UK flights??

At OLCI the drop down shows "Not Sure" then has the numbers 0-5. It doesn't mention anything about free/paid allowance.

8. Re: No free checked bags on BA, US-UK flights??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 06:19