We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX (or SAN)to Shanghai in July-which airline/airport?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
LAX (or SAN)to Shanghai in July-which airline/airport?

Hi,

Helping a friend who is moving to Shanghai to teach.

I have done a search on Matrix but don't know anything about Shanghai or its airports.

She would like the least expensive flight which for one way looks to be in the mid $600s.

Is flying into the Shanghai airports the best thing or might there be another city nearby with less expensive flights?

So far I only see Amer. and United from SAN with a stop in LAX or SFO.

I also see Air Canada. NO other foreign airlines look reasonably priced for the end of July around the 28th.

Let me know if you have any other possible ideas please.

Thanks

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,166 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX (or SAN)to Shanghai in July-which airline/airport?

One way, ITA showing Air Canada LAX-YVR-PVG on 7/30 for $586.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX (or SAN)to Shanghai in July-which airline/airport?

Yes, Thanks--saw Air Canada in the 500s as you say.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX (or SAN)to Shanghai in July-which airline/airport?

International flights from the US will go to Shanghai Pudong (PVG). If she books with a connection in Japan or Korea she may get a flight to Shanghai's other airport (Hongqiao - SHA). But there are no other airports with a practical link back to Shanghai without making her journey incredibly inconvenient.

The only airlines that operate non-stop are (as you mentioned) United and American, plus China Eastern. daawgn's option of LAX-YVR-PVG is probably the cheapest practical option available. Asiana or Korean Air via Seoul would be much better service wise, but they tend to arrive into PVG in the 8.30-9pm timeframe, rather than 4.30-7pm which would give her more time to get to her accommodation.

4. Re: LAX (or SAN)to Shanghai in July-which airline/airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 05:17