We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????

Sellersburg, IN USA
Level Contributor
25 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????

Delta CEO Richard Anderson uses the words honesty and integrity when defining the "Delta Difference". However, Delta lost my wife's luggage on her way to India due to a 5-hour delayed Delta flight and a strike in Paris. Two weeks later, Delta has taken no responsibility and offered no help. Our luggage remains lost and Delta does absolutely nothing. Worst of all, Delta personnel have repeatedly lied about the strike in Paris which was well covered in the news. Other passengers lost luggage.

94 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,682 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????

Not sure I'd be posting my wife's full name on a public forum.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,182 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????

What does any of that have to do with Delta? Your issue is with AirFrance and Emirates, right?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,758 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????

>> Delta and Air France personnel continue to tell me that I must seek reimbursement from Emirates. <<

And they are correct. If your bag fails to show at your final destination then you file the missing bag report with the airline operating the final leg. In this case that's Emirates, and it's Emirates that should be tracing the bag. That's the way it works.

You may ask (politely) whether Delta as the ticketing airline could look into it, and maybe they could have a word with EK (I had bags go astray on SwiisAir for a few days, called Delta who'd ticketed the flights and within a few hours SwissAir called and had found them). But the responsibility for tracking the bag(s) down is Emirates and you should be aiming your frustration at them.

Sellersburg, IN USA
Level Contributor
25 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????

It's great to get input even though it reveals general perception differs than mine. Perhaps you are right. I'll ponder your inputs. The primary reason that I'm upset with Delta instead of Emirates is because:

1. I paid Delta to get my wife and her bags to India.

2. Delta issues lead to her missing connecting flights.

3. Emirates never received the luggage and Delta has confirmed that fact.

There is one point which many of you made which I agree with in particular: Air France was the real problem throughout, but since I paid Delta and since Air France was awful, my chances of getting help from them are slim.

Here's my biggest point of contention about Delta's responsibility. Imagine you bought a new car and after two weeks, the transmission failed. You call your dealer and you call the manufacturer, but they tell you, "We have an arrangement with our transmission supplier in China. Although you bought your car from us, you must work directly with our supplier for reimbursement. Here's there number in China...good luck".

p.s.

I've been nice to all individuals at all airlines thus far. :-)

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,647 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????

Hi,

The others are right... While I get it that your frustrated with DL for what you perceive as their short comings, the reality is that it IS the LAST carrier who assumes, handles, and if necessary, pays any clams arising from a delayed or damaged bag case..

It actually makes sense in the large picture to have this one-size-fits-all rule for baggae matters.. IF you didn't, I suspect you would have a situation where the airlines would tell passengers "we will accept a claim ONLY if YOU can PROVE that it was US who delayed/damaged your bag,". And now the passenger would be forced to shuttle between carriers seein who will ultimately deal with it..

Under this "last operating carrier" system, while not perfect by any means, at least it is does establish a clear line of responsibiliy, and in most cases, provides the passenger for a single-point of carrier contact... And avoids a lot of cases of run-around.

While you may have *bought* the ticket in whole, from Delta, thr reality is that Delta sold you those other routes (not operated by Delta) solely as "agent" for these other carriers.. While DL does have some lability (such as selling only what 3rd parties publish as legal MCT etc) as selling agent for 3rd parties- that lability doesn't extend to delayed or damaged baggage..

If this "as agent for" situation did not exsist, you largely wouldn't be able to have inter-line tickets that involve travel over more than one carrier.

I also agree that a nice and politely worded request letter to Delta *asking* them to perhaps intervene in your case can't hurt.. But in the end, as Delta isn't or wasn't the last operating carrier, they don't have not assume theu ability for delayed baggage.

I would reasonably expect DL to be able to help you facilitate communication with the last operating carrier to get quicker resolve, but I would not expect DL to step-in and assume liability (or pay for claims) which are not theirs and alter the last-operating-carrier principle which this ticket appears to be issued and sold under.

Travel Safe,

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????

No wonder - she took the long way with 3 connections. I would have driven to Cincinnati and flown CVG-CDG-BLR. I've done that 5 times and never had an issue with lost luggage.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,682 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????

If the purpose of this post is to vent, the, fine, you've done it. If it is to get advice on obtaining any compensation you are due (when bag is officially lost), then you've gotten than and I don't understand why you are ignoring that advice by fixating on Delta.

I would also add that if you're calling Delta and asking them to gratuitously intervene, talk of calling DOT and suing them doesn't really inspire people to go out of their way to help you.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????

I have only had one problem with a Delta partner airline. The partner airline refused to address the issue because we were flying under a Delta reservation number. As soon as we were in a location where I could call Delta I did. They addressed the problem, which was not anything they caused, and provided generous compensation.

I did not yell at Delta. I immediately acknowledged that they were not to blame for the problem. I just explained what happened and what I thought would appropriate for Delta to do since the partner airline refused to take responsibility.

If my luggage were missing I would still contact Delta, not because they are responsible but because they have a better chance of solving the problem because of their resources. Obviously if you are asking for this type of help you cannot accuse or threaten. You simply appeal to their superior resources to be used on behalf of a loyal customer.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????

You should read GOPBI's post carefully.Delta can do very little to help you.The systems are set up for Emirates to track find and return your bag.That is where you need to focus your attention.

Until your bag has been missing 21 days,travel insurance will not consider your claim.

My longest missing bag was 6 weeks,but it came home eventually,and I got a new bag and clothes curtosy of Amex,so you have plenty of time yet.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
241 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????

Created a pir with emirates, and although you may seem to think the airlines aren't helping you most airlines work with the same system world tracer which allows to trace bags all over the world with multiple airlines. The system will continue to trace for 21 days and then you will be entitled to claim via the final carrier emirates or through your travel insurance. Give emirates as much information about the missing bag, lots of unique contents, just in case the tag has come off the bag and any labels or ribbons etc.

Reply to: Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted