We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????

Sellersburg, IN USA
Level Contributor
25 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????

Delta CEO Richard Anderson uses the words honesty and integrity when defining the "Delta Difference". However, Delta lost my wife's luggage on her way to India due to a 5-hour delayed Delta flight and a strike in Paris. Two weeks later, Delta has taken no responsibility and offered no help. Our luggage remains lost and Delta does absolutely nothing. Worst of all, Delta personnel have repeatedly lied about the strike in Paris which was well covered in the news. Other passengers lost luggage.

109 replies to this topic
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
843 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????

I started carry8ing my bags years ago, but about 6-7 years ago my wife prevailed on me to check my luggage on Delta, Miami-Atlanta. I couldn't find my bag in ATL because Delta somehow managed to neglect putting the flight and carousel number on their boards. I went to my daughter's house, and next morning I called Delta and got an Indian call center. (Delta no longer uses Indian call centers because they got so many complaints) I called their ATL headquarters, and an hour later someone appeared at my daughter's door with my bag.

Coming back to MIA, my wife again prevailed on me to check my bag, saying that it couldn't possibly happen twice in a row. My bag didn't show up on the MIA carousel and an agent finally found it in a back storage room. Ever since then, I have refused to check a bag on any airline (and this was before they started charging to do it)

I should add that I've been flying Delta since the mid-1960s. Delta's like a comfortable pair of old shoes - not the greatest, but still comfy and reliable, But, hey, if any airline loses your bag, ignore the perpetual airline defenders here an d go ahead, make a fuss, call their headquarters, etc. It does help!

Washington DC...
1 post
Save Reply
22. Re: Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????

Delta just lost my husbands gate checked bags!! Causing huge stress and resulting in him wearing shorts to a business meeting!! DELTA SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????

"resulting in him wearing shorts to a business meeting!! "

His dress is not Delta's fault. He should know that he needs to keep some clothes in a carryon just in case.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,573 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????

>> Delta just lost my husbands gate checked bags!! Causing huge stress and resulting in him wearing shorts to a business meeting!! <<

Been there, done that (apart from the shorts). The airline was Lufthansa, and even so, like Delta they don't suck. Now when I fly for business I wear my suit. That way the airline can't lose it, and I can't forget to pack it.

USA
Level Contributor
429 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????

Doesn't seem possible that you can lose something in that short a distance, from the gate checked area to belly of the plane, but your husband proved me wrong. Even when I want to carry on my suitcase I would get pressured into gate checking it which leaves me slightly vulnerable to loss luggage scenario. Did he find his?

Edited: 10 August 2013, 02:56
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????

My sister took Delta from Minnesota to China Jan 2013 year. She missed her Delta connection in Seattle. When she checked her luggage in Seattle in front of Delta agent, her luggage almost empty. Someone stolen all the valuable staffs from her luggage. My sister called police and report the lost in front of Delta agent. We tried to contact Delta many times but delta does nothing. 'Delta has taken no responsibility and offered no help. ' is so true.

Delta 'honesty and integrity ' is just a joke. Delta tried very hard to not take any responsibility.

Edited: 04 September 2013, 04:35
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????

My sister took Delta from Minnesota to China last year. She missed her Delta connection in Seattle. When she checked her luggage in Seattle in front of Delta agent. Her luggage almost empty. Someone stolen all the valuable staffs from her luggage. My sister called police and report the lost in front of Delta agent. We tried to contact Delta many times but delta does nothing. I believe 'Delta has taken no responsibility and offered no help. '

Delta 'honesty and integrity ' is just a joke. Delta tried very hard to not take any responsibility.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,913 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????

Delta does not employ the luggage handlers at the airport- the airport does.

"Valuable stuff" should never be packed in checked luggage as it is too vulnerable to theft.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,176 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????

That's why the airline tells you never to check valuables in luggage, and that they take no responsibility if you break the rules and do so anyway. No one deserves to be robbed, but unfortunately those are the rules.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,774 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????

hI,

re: 26 (and duplicate #27)

I think there are some overlapping areas where all parties have some things they can do to safeguard... I think the carrier has a large role - no doubt there -- and even if they do sub-contract out (either on a voluntary basis or in limited cases, on an involuntary basis) I still think that does not, in and of itself, give them a pass in terms of accountability...

However, in those cases I do think that reality comes in play and says that with a contractor type arrangement, that there is now a 2nd player involved and the carrier does have some limitations on what they can do -- after all, in most cases those employees doing the actual work aren't direct employees of the carrier-- so their ability to monitor, train, coach or even discipline might be limited need to 'go thru" the management of the contractor..

But... that still not mean the carrier can wash their hands of it in its entirety simply because of a contractor relationship.

I also think the airport and law enforcement (who has jurisdiction over such matters in and on airport properties) also have a role here...

... and lastly I do think the passenger has a part too.. By that I mean I think it is understandable to say 'no valuables" ... Yes, in a perfect world you would not need to say such.. but that's just not reality.. unfortunately.. just as it with left luggage, cash in the mail, or even leaving valuables in your car when you valet park it... I think it's just a good pro-active practice to remove a potential problem before it has a chance to become one..

I am not condoning theft by any means, regardless of the party or parties who are doing it... but I do think that since it's just not realistic to say that we can -- with any real level of assurances -- monitor every bag, every step of the way from acceptance at check-in, to the time it reappears at baggage reclaim. So the idea that you try to remove a possible problem in advance has some merit..

Speaking to #26.. I think that the unfortunate reality here is that it's hard to *prove* who did what and when.. This isn't to say it did.. or didn't.. happen as written in #26.. but I can understand Delta's need to have some level of proof of the loss and who is responsible for it.. But i would expect Delta, or any carrier, to properly investigate any legitimate claim and/or to turn over cases of theft to law enforcement and to assist with any investigations of such,

Travel Safe,

Reply to: Any luck getting Delta to help with lost luggage?????
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted