We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choice Air Review

Indiana
Level Contributor
814 posts
443 reviews
Save Topic
Choice Air Review

Choice Air was one of the worst travel experiences of my life. And the pain continues.

We bought first class air through Choice Air, flying from Indianapolis to Rome. The first mistake is they gave us a quote. We accepted the quote and proceeded to pay for the ticket. After paying for the ticket, we were informed the flight was no longer available at that price and were quoted a substantially higher priced ticket.

Since we had already paid for the ticket, we refused to authorize a refund and repurchase at the higher price. I stayed on the phone for over two hours, moving up the chain of command. Since I already paid and had written confirmation, I was not going to let them back out of the deal.

Eventually, I had to accept a domestic leg of the trip on economy to make it all happen. They never explained to me how they did it, but I had my promised flights, minus first class in the last leg. With my high level with Delta, I knew I would be upgraded on that last leg for free, which I did.

The pain continued. However they “made it happen” caused me to not have a reserved seat, even though all my tickets had seat numbers attached. I showed up at AlItalia and was basically on the wait list for first class. Luckily, the plane was not full. I got in first class, but not the seats I had booked 5 months in advance. They were not the best seats, my family had to split up, but all ended OK. The return flight had the same problem with seats and turned out the same way.

The pain continues. I am online today, trying to book my next vacation and notice about 17,391 miles had not yet been credited to my account. I call Delta and they said Choice Air bought a special type ticket and certain legs were not eligible for miles. The cost for me to repurchase these lost miles is exactly $677.25.

In my opinion, Choice Air has taken $677.25 from me. They lied in telling me my ticket was a normal ticket for which I would earn miles. They downgraded me after selling me a ticket.

Buyer be aware.

Indiana
Level Contributor
814 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choice Air Review

BTW - I read all the terms and conditions I could find for Choice Air. Nowhere is there a disclaimer about FF miles. In fact, I printed off a copy of their website where they say one of their advantages is that you earn FF miles.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,427 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choice Air Review

Lesson Learned - always book directly with the airline.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,019 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choice Air Review

The FF issue is not really with choice air. Most airlines only grant miles for flights on partner airlines for certain ticket classes. Usually you get no miles for discount tickets, which is what most people buy. I'd guess I only get miles about half the time for flights on partner airlines. In your case you're trying to get delta miles for an Alitalia flight. Deltas policy is why you are not getting the miles you expected. But every us airline is similar.

That would have happened probably even booking direct with Alitalia.

Edited: 30 June 2013, 04:10
Indiana
Level Contributor
814 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choice Air Review

Wes is 100% incorrect. Sorry if that sounds rude.

1. The Choice Air rep and website both say I will get my miles. None of the Terms indicate possible loss of FF miles. They have lots of disclaimers, but this is not one of them. I checked.

2. The flights are all Delta flights with Alitalia code share. Alitalia is a Skyteam airline.

3. The class of ticket was not disclosed in advance or online since Choice Air booked en masse. Some legs earned miles, others did not. CA does not disclose in advance which is which.

4. Delta said this is a common problem with these kind of tickets and deal with the complaints all the time as the cruise companies fail to disclose this fact.

Follow up:

After being bumped on to a manager at Delta, I was given my miles. Delta said they are doing this because of my medallion status and loyalty. They informed me this is a common problem with the “cruise travel agents,” (their phrase not mine) like Choice Air.

Lessons learned:

1. If it is too good to be true, it is. Book directly though the airline.

2. I am an experienced flyer and know all the tricks. I could have reproduced the ticket sold to me by Choice Air at the same price… IF THEY HAD TOLD ME THE TRUTH.

3. I was never informed of the restrictions. In fact, I was told the opposite.

Obviously, some people have good experience with CA. See the reviews. My facts speak for themselves.

Caveat: If you are not experienced at how airline ticket prices are set, changed, etc. you might benefit from a travel agent, like Choice Air, who does the work for you. If you know when ticket prices changes, terms, classes, etc. do it yourself, as there is no free lunch.

San Francisco...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choice Air Review

For the same cruise, my friend and I booked air tickets in the same transaction, the same credit card, and sat next to each other for 4 flight legs. Through Air Choice, using Swiss Air, a United partner. (The ticket read "Y class" This would ordinarily indicate that FF miles would be issued.) When we applied for these miles after the flight was complete (they were not automatically issued), my friend DID receive FF miles but I did NOT!! Eiven though we sat next to each other and paid in the same transaction!! United said that , "even though it was Y class it is not always issued as Y class and that I did not qualify". Absurd!! Arbitrary!! I protested and appealed for 3 months, multiple emails, but to no avail. So it is artibrary and doubtful whether you will get FF miles.

6. Re: Choice Air Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 February 2014, 01:35
7. Re: Choice Air Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 February 2014, 01:35
Edited: 05 February 2014, 01:35
California
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Choice Air Review

Borntogolf - Well, now you know why people don't book air through the cruise line. No need to spam the boards. And, Choice Air is correct; T class is NOT the same as S class. I really doubt they care if you cancel your membership or not.

Honestly, it sounds as if your customer service was "bad" because you didn't get what you wanted.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,950 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Choice Air Review

Borntogolf, you've woken up a six month old thread having already posted on another. Necroposting and duplicate posting is poor form.

Nashville TN
Level Contributor
6 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Choice Air Review

Has there been recent experience w/Choice Air in North America rather than overseas?