We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I have enough time to transfer?

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Do I have enough time to transfer?

Hi

I am flying from Minneapolis to LAX on delta and they have changed the flight schedule by 1/2 hour. I have a connecting flight with Air New Zealand. So, my dilemma is me and my husband will have 2 hours 50 minutes to pick up our luggage and get from terminal 2 over to terminal 5. I would imagine this would be enough time as long as there are no delays. We were offered by Delta to change our tickets to an earlier flight but when I tried to do this they wanted an extra $150! The earlier flight gives us a good 6 hours. Delta lands at 7:40pm and Air New Zealand departs at 10:30pm and it's a Saturday night. What should we do??? Check in for ANZ flight closes 2 hours before departure. How strict are they with this? Is there any chance I could get Delta to check our bags through to ANZ flight?

Thanks for replies in advance.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,974 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I have enough time to transfer?

You are now learning the hard way why you should not book itineraries on separate tickets, without masses and masses of contingency.

If I were you I would pay the extra and take an earlier flight. In fact I'd go for more contingency and take an even earlier flight.

That's as you say $150. How much would a new one way ticket to Auckland at the walk up fare cost? Probably thousands, and if you fail to make it to NZ's check in or boarding, that's what you're going to have to stump up as you'll be classed as a no show and lose your ticket. $150 now to avoid $$thousands on a new NZ ticket sounds like good insurance to me.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,117 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I have enough time to transfer?

I would pay to get the earlier flight - you have 50 minutes to complete check in with ANZ and this assumes your incoming flight is on time and your luggage arrives promptly.

You can only assume that ANZ will enforce the 2 hour check in limit and your plans are, in my opinion, risky bearing in mind the potential financial cost of being a no show for the ANZ flight.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I have enough time to transfer?

Agree get the earlier or. Indeed the one before that.

T5 to T2 can take some time.

Edit...when is ANZ moving to TBIT?

Edited: 30 June 2013, 08:49
Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I have enough time to transfer?

Thanks everyone. I'm going to cough the money up and get the earlier flight. Things have really changed the last year as far as baggage and connections go, I have always been able to check the luggage through to my final destination without a problem. And wouldn't it be nice if ANZ was at the Tom Bradley? I guess if we have idle time we will check it out. Thanks again!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I have enough time to transfer?

TBIT move is in early 2014

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I have enough time to transfer?

Megsi. In future always purchase your air travel on one through ticket if you can. It affords you so much more flexibility and security.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,974 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I have enough time to transfer?

Good choice megsi. Have a great trip.

As for NZ moving to TBIT, that would be very nice having watched a video of the refurbished TBIT air side (looks very nice). But it wouldn't made a shed of difference if arriving/connecting from an incoming domestic flight as you'd still have to reclear security to get into TBIT, right?

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,595 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I have enough time to transfer?

Right decision, megsi! In addition almost no chance you'll be able to check your luggage through being on separate tickets on two different airlines part of two different alliances...

Enjoy your trip!

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I have enough time to transfer?

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have now purchased new tickets. Not sure I would be able to book my ANZ flight and delta together, I purchased on line, before I heard about the new luggage rules.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,595 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I have enough time to transfer?

Tried a dummy booking on ANZ website. Found this:

7:15 PM Sat 20th Jul Minneapolis

11:15 PM Sat 20th Jul Los Angeles

9:10 PM Sat 20th Jul Los Angeles

7:15 AM Mon 22nd Jul Auckland

DL2321 and NZ0003

So it is possible to buy the trip on one single ticket.