We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chances of Lost Luggage on this Itinerary?

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Chances of Lost Luggage on this Itinerary?

Delta MSP-AMS depart 3:10 Thurs arr 6:30a Fri

Alitalia AMS-LIN depart 8:50a arr 9:55a

Alitalia LIN-BCN depart 12:20p arr 1:55

Trying to get from Minneapolis to Barcelona 1 day before a cruise. With all the switching of airports, I suddenly became concerned about the possibility of lost luggage. Delta and Alitalia are Skyteam partners and AMS and Milan are 2 of their hubs. Booked the long haul part thru Delta and the AMS-BCN piece thru Orbitz.

Do any of you experienced flyers see a need for concern about our luggage getting lost with all these connections under normal circumstances?

Outside of identifying our luggage inside and out, does anyone have any tips for checking luggage in a way that it is less likely to get lost?

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,180 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chances of Lost Luggage on this Itinerary?

You can check with the gate agent to make sure they are aware of your luggage.Other than that not much else you can do,but your connections are not tight,so you should be ok.Make sure you have travel insurance,and buy a new wardrobe and claim if your bags fail to arrive.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
7,459 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chances of Lost Luggage on this Itinerary?

You appear to be saying that you have booked separate tickets, MSP to AMS and another AMS to BCN? If this is the case you will have to pick up your bags in AMS. And you also clear immigration when you enter Schengen. If this is 2 tickets you bear the risk if your 1st flight is late, ie you become a no show for the AMS to BCN and return. You will have to buy a whole new return ticket. This is important for your return if you are doing the same route. A risky strategy as you have an important deadline. I would be more worried about my connections.

I'm sure you will be ok but if there are delays it becomes time critical.

One of the main reasons for delayed baggage is short connections. In AMS you will know if your bags arrive as you have to pick them up and you should be ok in LIN. Good luck. Just make sure you put contact nos. and details of your itinerary in an outside pocket, that way if its delay the airline has a fighting chance in getting it to you. The more connections you make increases the chances of missing flights and delayed bags.

Out of interest why are you flying via LIN, are there not nonstop flights to BCN? An odd routing.

Edited: 30 June 2013, 14:41
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,861 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chances of Lost Luggage on this Itinerary?

Was there a reason why you booked the AMS-LIN-BCN separately? Likely would have been cheaper to book with your overseas flight and definitely creates a potentially risk situation for you, not so much your bags. If you are delayed on your MSP-AMS and miss the AMS-LIN connection, you do run the risk of that itinerary being canceled.

When you checkin at MSP, for sure talk with the checkin agent about checking bags all the way through. They MAY be able to link your two separate records, not sure on that. But do try to manage that situation in MSP just to be prepared.

Assuming that you can get your bags checked through from MSP to BCN, which is likely, your bags shouldn't have any problems. If you can't check them through, you'll have to recover them in AMS, go through customs and re-check, which would be a big hassle.

Good luck.

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chances of Lost Luggage on this Itinerary?

Take a change of clothes in your hand luggage.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,615 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chances of Lost Luggage on this Itinerary?

Delta is a KLM partner and KLM fly AMS-BCN directly, hence you should have booked a through ticket MSP-BCN via AMS. This would have saved you time and reduced the risk of loosing your luggage, to me that would have been worth paying extra for.

However fingers crossed that everything will go smoothly and please report back once you have completed your journey.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chances of Lost Luggage on this Itinerary?

As Smudge says if your transatlantic flight is delayed significantly, lost luggage will be the least of your problems. Hope things go well. Good luck.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,651 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chances of Lost Luggage on this Itinerary?

That is a nasty and unnecessary itinerary. There are *so* many ways to get there faster and efficiently without the extra stop, or ever having to touch Alitalia. Heck... there is even a non-stop flight straight to BCN from ATL.

Pack a carryon with clothes, but remember... there are strict carryon weight requirements in Europe, unlike the US.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chances of Lost Luggage on this Itinerary?

If you haven't already booked the flights then i would book an easier itinerary.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chances of Lost Luggage on this Itinerary?

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my question.

We are going on a cruise which starts in Barcelona and ends in Venice. We are going from Venice to Paris to visit with a friend, then back to Minneapolis from Paris.

Perhaps because of all the multi-city travel, I was not able to book this itinerary with Delta, so did the long haul piece via Delta online then the Europe pieces via Orbitz.

Just spoke with a not so friendly Delta agent and found out that:

1) Delta and Alitalia have a baggage agreement, so we COULD check our bags all the way through to BCN, in spite of the facts that the Eurpean piece was booked via Orbitz;

2) Alternatively, I could pay Delta an extra $778 to book the whole itinerary through them. All flghts would be the same as what I have, only the piece from AMS to BCN would change to non-stop.

I wonder if it is worth it to do that for peace of mind...

What an awful goof...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,558 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chances of Lost Luggage on this Itinerary?

A personal choice of course but for $778 I think I'd stick to the existing itinerary. Since you're going on a cruise I assume you won't be flying at winter time?