We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airline's boarding procedures?

Edmonton, Canada
9 posts
United Airline's boarding procedures?

I have never flown UA and am traveling with my family (inc. 3 kids). We are going Edmonton - Houston - Cancun return. We are in economy for all flights except one (Houston - Cancun). What is their boarding procedures? By rows? Because we have little kids (one is 2) will we get to board near the beginning like the charters I am used to flying (or WestJet)?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,253 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: United Airline's boarding procedures?

https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Company-Op…

flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileageplus-conso…

United, like most US carriers, no longer gives priority to families with small children; far too often it was abused with parents taking children older than 2. Unless you're an elite, you'll board in group 3 (window seats, 4 (middles) or 5 (aisles). If one of your family has a group 3 boarding pass, you can all board together.

Edmonton, Canada
9 posts
2. Re: United Airline's boarding procedures?

Thank you very much. Does this mean that I can get a credit card that will get me a higher boarding? Probably won't go through with that, but just wondering if that's an option. We will have group 3 since we always have a window though, that should be fine to get enough overhead space right with us?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,538 posts
117 reviews
3. Re: United Airline's boarding procedures?

Yes, there is a United Explorer credit card that moves you ahead of general boarding but behind elite fliers (the ones that fly a minimum number of miles annually).

4. Re: United Airline's boarding procedures?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 July 2013, 03:33
Edmonton, Canada
9 posts
5. Re: United Airline's boarding procedures?

Seems maybe worth it to get for no annual fee and then cancel before a year is up. Also would get two passes to the lounge. Hmmmmm....

I deleted the above post because I replied on my wife's name (she was signed in) and didn't want to confuse things in case anyone was wondering

Edited: 02 July 2013, 03:38
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,253 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: United Airline's boarding procedures?

>> there is a United Explorer credit card that moves you ahead of general boarding but behind elite fliers (the ones that fly a minimum number of miles annually).<<

Actually credit card holders now board in Group 2 along with United/Star Golds and United Silvers. They used to be later but United got a ton of grief for advertizing a credit card with "Priority Boarding" and then giving them group 4.

Of course it's now the Golds and Silvers whining as you can see from that FT thread.We're on the fourth revision of boarding process since the merger, so who knows how long the current one will last. :-)

Edited: 02 July 2013, 04:24
7. Re: United Airline's boarding procedures?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 07:18