We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ryanair : problem with debit card

Volos, Greece
Level Contributor
148 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
ryanair : problem with debit card

I have been trying since last night to make a booking with Ryanair . Since payment by debit card has no charge , I selected that option .How foolish of me ( how clever of Ryanair !!) .I had been trying for four ( 4 ) hours but always : ''error '' was the answer .I phoned my Bank , and the answer was that my card has no problem , so I could stop trying for the time being and try later .I tried two hours later but .... again ''error '' .So ,I decided to use my credit card ( paying a 6% fee !!! , and we know how much Ryanair worships money !!) .With my credit card .. no problem at all .So , has anyone else encounterd such problem ?

90 replies to this topic
paris
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: ryanair : problem with debit card

Quite - they never comment any where but it was worth a try :(

Feel smug do you? support this sort of consumer attitude?

Any way from now on it is Air France for me from Perpignan to London

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,013 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: ryanair : problem with debit card

<<Quite - they never comment any where but it was worth a try :(>>

That'll be because they don't read this forum.

<<Feel smug do you? support this sort of consumer attitude?>>

What are you on about?

Edited: 14 July 2013, 22:40
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,083 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: ryanair : problem with debit card

< Why on earth would anyone from Ryanair comment on here? >

Everyone here is an employee of the Illuminati - sorry airline industry

Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: ryanair : problem with debit card

Feel smug do you? support this sort of consumer attitude?

---

The LCC model has introduced transparency into pricing. You moan about Ryanair, yet bizarrely choose Air France, who along with the rest of the full service airlines, have stuffed their prices full of things people don't need or want and have no transparency on price build up. How do you know that the full service airlines like Air France aren't including an even bigger allowance for credit cards in their price than Ryanair?

Edited: 15 July 2013, 07:33
Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,866 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: ryanair : problem with debit card

Never had a problem with FR taking my Debit Card.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: ryanair : problem with debit card

Kyriaki and Sara75013 should take off their tin hats for a minute and think about:

1) How much money Ryanair lose because some people using a debitcard simply give up booking after receiving an error message? (hint: a lot more than the extra 2% cc-bookings would bring in).

2) What happens to the 2% added to creditcard bookings? (hint: it doesn't end up in the pocket of Ryanair).

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: ryanair : problem with debit card

It's much more likely that Michael O'Leary pays as little as possible for website design and for e-payment connectivity, and the result is an occasionally flaky system. Last time I flew with Ryanair it took three attempts to get the website to accept my debit card. According to my bank, only the third attempt had actually connected to their systems at all.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: ryanair : problem with debit card

Hi

Although some people say they tried a UK debit card to make the payment most seem to have foreign ones. Some stores do not recognise foreign debit cards as such and the card readers see them as credit cards. So using a foreign debit card with Ryanair might make the computer think you should have ticked the credit card box rather than the debit card.

This is an airline which transports over 80,000,000 passengers every year and I am certain most of whom make the bookings with no problems whatsoever.

For those who cannot manage to make a booking which offers a dozen choices of additional services then obviously they are better off with airlines who hide the price breakdown and just make a whopping charge for everything whether you use it or not.

Jackie

Volos, Greece
Level Contributor
148 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: ryanair : problem with debit card

As far as '' foreign debit cards'' : my debit card is Maestro . So , I suppose there isn't a matter of '' debit card recognition'' . Regarding '' Ryanair booking with no problem '' , I am afraid that there are too many people feeling anxious , when booking with Ryan ,not to make a mistake ( e.g. forget a letter of their name) , because they know , that they will be obliged to pay for a new ticket . No descent company does this . I suppose the only reason , people book with Ryan is cheap fares .

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,013 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: ryanair : problem with debit card

<<I am afraid that there are too many people feeling anxious , when booking with Ryan ,not to make a mistake ( e.g. forget a letter of their name) , because they know , that they will be obliged to pay for a new ticket .>>

If you notice you've spelt the name wrong, (as long as it's not an obvious attempt at a name change), if you ring Ryanair they will change it free of charge. Lot's of posters on here have had spelling mistakes changed for free. So they must be a decent company...............

Reply to: ryanair : problem with debit card
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted