We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia flights

Colden, New York
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
193 reviews
Air Asia flights

Was going to book a flight from Phnom Penh to Bangkok on Air Asia for 1/29/2014. Price few months ago was $97 pp one way. I posted on TA Thailand or Cambodia forum and was advised to wait as prices would be lower in August. I created an alert and then got notified the price had increased from the $97 pp to $161 pp. Now I've gotten another alert of a price drop this time. Price is now $103 pp. My husband is thinking we should book this but do you think the price will go lower and how much lower would a one way ticket be for that date and route?? This will be our first trip to this area so not sure what constitutes a good price. Is there another airline I should look at? The only thing I don't like about AA is that you have to pay for your baggage and even a small charge for a seat! I found that out when I booked our tickets from Bangkok round trip to Yangon for price of around $78 pp. But by the time all the taxes, fees, fuel surcharges, baggage, seat, etc. were added in that round trip ticket for 2 senior adults came to $359.43 total or about $180 pp round trip. Because of the price increase for the PP to Bangkok flight I went ahead and booked the tickets to Yangon as I felt that the price wasn't too bad. Now I don't know if I should wait to book internal tickets for Thailand or just go ahead and do it now. All our hotels have been booked for Thailand. It's just the flight from PP to Bangkok and then a round trip flight from Bangkok to Phuket that I have to book.

Edited: 05 July 2013, 18:23
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,545 posts
97 reviews
1. Re: Air Asia flights

Generally with AirAsia, their cheapest prices are early rather than late as subsequent sales are for a lesser number of seats on a lesser number of dates. You don't get cheap seats just prior to departure like you used to and you usually pay more booking after arrival than before.

Do you have to exit from Phnom Penh? Could you fly from Siam Reap instead, flying to Kuala Lumpur and on to Phuket? From experience the Phnom Penh to BKK route tends to be one of the higher cost routes. So compare the two options. Bangkok Airways offer flights Phnom Phenh to BKK but more expensive.

Use Skyscanner.net to look at options.

Colden, New York
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
193 reviews
2. Re: Air Asia flights

I guess I should have made myself more clear. We intend to fly from PP to Bangkok on 1/29/2014, one way. Our round trip Bangkok to Phuket isn't until 3/13/2014 (we're heading to Khao Lak for 7 nights) and returning to Bangkok from Phuket on 3/29/2014 after 9 nights there.

I don't believe Nok Air does PP to Bangkok so I'm thinking to just book the PP to Bangkok tickets now as it's only $6 more than the fare I found several months ago and you're saying that in all probability this fare won't decrease by much??

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,351 posts
153 reviews
3. Re: Air Asia flights

Virtually nobody knows what flight prices are going to do in the future. Book when you see a price you think is good. I'd wait until Monday, 8th July anyway, as Air Asia are having a sale, per an email I got 2 days ago.

I booked a Bangkok to Phnom Phen return flight for January 2014 , back in April 2013 for £74 (about $111).

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,545 posts
97 reviews
4. Re: Air Asia flights

I understood your one way intentions from Cambodia to Phuket, that's why I suggested Siem Reap as opposed to PP to give more options. However, if $97 was acceptable with the benefit of hindsight I would book the $103 fare and move on to subsequent flights. IF it does drop in my view it will not be a significant one.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
5. Re: Air Asia flights

I travel PP to BKK and return many times on Air Asia, The price is between $90-$120 depending on season and how far I book in advance, Book it now as AA is the cheapest and for such a short flight all you want.Pay for 20 kg luggage when you book and get there early and they will sit you together.

Book internal Thailand as the prices are cheaper when you book early.

Have a great trip wonderful part of the world.

Colden, New York
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
193 reviews
6. Re: Air Asia flights

I just booked my 1/29/14 flight from PP to BKK Air Asia! I checked the price on Bangkok Air and it was more expensive. I didn't want to wait until 7/8 as that's what I did the last time and the fare went up. If the sale includes PP to BKK on 7/8 I'll just had to grin and bear it!

Thanks for all the advice. This will be our first trip to Cambodia, Thailand, and Myanmar. I can't wait until it's time to go!!

7. Re: Air Asia flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 06:17