We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orbitz International Flights

High River, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Orbitz International Flights

I am checking flight prices from Calgary Canada to New Zealand for October departure and return in November. Orbitz prices are about $500 cheaper than any of the airlines or hat my travel agent quoted. There would be 1-2 stopovers on each flight and this would involve at least 2 airlines. Has anybody used them for multiple flights and what was your experience?

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
598 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orbitz International Flights

- book direct with the airlines

- any 3rd party (most) will have additional/hidden charges - just do a search in the search engine top of page - for tales of woe and misery caused by people hoping to get a cheap deal

- if something goes wrong -cancelled flight -rescheduled flight who you going to contact ?

- stick with the providers/airlines - thing that seem cheap "too good to be true - often are "

have a great trip !

Edited: 06 July 2013, 07:28
Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
598 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orbitz International Flights

ps

often ...................cheaper the flight - the longer the layovers !

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,209 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orbitz International Flights

Orbitz is one of the more reputable third party bookers, as opposed to the likes of CheapoAir or (heaven forbid) eDreams. But they're still an online booker, and as such you'd have to deal with a middleman should any changes happen - either by you or the airline.

Let us know the dates concerned, and the flights you're looking at. Sometimes it is possible to book multi airline flights directly with the major carrier by phone. Or use a reputable full service travel agent, staffed by travel experts who can hold reservations and explore the best options. They're still middlemen but you should get to talk to the agent that booked you rather than a call center. There aren't that many of those around, but they do exist and can be very helpful.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,807 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orbitz International Flights

Never had problems with orbitz. They are reputable and I've never had hidden fee issues with them. I like to book direct but have seen many situations like yours where orbitz had the identical flight a lot cheaper and I saved a lot by using them.

It will be more difficult to change or cancel your flight if your plans change so that's a risk you'll be taking.

Edited: 06 July 2013, 13:42
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,807 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orbitz International Flights

Never had problems with orbits. They are reputable and I've never had hidden feebissues with them. I like to book direct but have seen many situations like yours where orbitz had the identical flight a lot cheaper and I saved a lot by using them.

It will be more difficult to change or cancel your flight if your plans change so that's a risk you'll be take.

One other issue, if you have multiple airlines make sure you have ample time for all the connections. If they are not partner airlines its probably separate tickets which means if you miss a connection it would be your responsibility and you'd have to buy a new ticket. I've only used orbitz when flights were one airline each way.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orbitz International Flights

The problem with Orbitz is that sometimes you think the flights are cheaper then when you click to buy them they say the flights are no longer available for that price and I wouldn't mind betting that that's the case here because $500 is too much of a difference.

Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orbitz International Flights

I've booked flights and vacation packages with Orbitz and never had any issues. I've had flights with one and two layovers but the layovers were maybe 1-2 hours. Orbitz is one of the better 3rd party booking agencies. I try to book directly with the airline but sometimes I use Orbitz. Good Luck and have a safe trip!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,799 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orbitz International Flights

As Chrella says, make sure to check that the price quoted is actually available. If it is, it's up to you if the downsides of using a 3rd party site listed above outweigh the chance of saving $500. Personally I'd be tempted and you could do a lot worse than Orbitz.

High River, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orbitz International Flights

Thank you for your replies. I had wondered about whether the connecting flights would be linked as that could be a concern. I am going to look at all options, but right now the price of the exact flights with Air New Zealand are nearly $1000 more. ANZ is direct from Vancouver to Auckland. I can also choose Delta which is less money, but means 4 flights with some long layovers between flights and also having to clear US customs. The dates are Oct. 18 and return Nov. 24 .

Lynda

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Orbitz International Flights

I've used Orbitz several times for booking such a scenario (International, utilizing different airlines from different alliances) and so far, have had no issues at all. I once had an itinerary that utilized BA and USAIR (no BA PHX-LHR on Wednesdays, so flew PHX-LAX-LHR) and had my bags checked through all the way to London. Same with SAN-PHL-LHR-GLA with the first two flights on US Air and the last leg on BA.

Travelocity also offers similar itineraries, but I've had nothing but trouble with them, so I avoid using them at all. As was pointed out before, it is best to book direct with the airlines if possible, but sometimes you just need to use an online booker and Orbitz seems to be the best of the bunch.