We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest Airline has the most delays I have ever experience

1 post
Save Topic
Southwest Airline has the most delays I have ever experience

Our flight from Cancun back to Seattle was delayed due to crew member called in sick. Our flight was 4 hrs delayed so we missed our collecting flight from Denver. For 2 days now we are still not able to get a flight back we are stuck in Denver. The flight we were promised is now delay again. We had to spend extra money on water and food at the airport without any kind of reimbursements. The worst part is for 2 days we were at the airport not once someone from Southwest apologize to us! Not once " we are sorry for your inconveniences" and we now are also going to miss our work. Our vacation was 4 days in Cancun but 2 days at airports. I suggest not to purchase tickets from Southwest airline if you do please give yourself at least 3 days to get home and bring extra money for spending at the airports.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,511 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southwest Airline has the most delays I have ever experience

If we followed your advice and refused to buy tickets from every airline that had delays and missed connections, then Greyhound would be doing a roaring trade.

Can you not use your travel insurance to help out with a flight home or cover your hotel expenses? You do have travel insurance right?

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
379 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southwest Airline has the most delays I have ever experience

For the 12 month period ending April 2013, the DOT reports that the on-time performance for Southwest Airlines was 78.4%. This is right in the middle of the pack as the on-time performance of all airlines was 77.3%. For details, see dot.gov/sites/…2013JuneATCR_0.pdf

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,308 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southwest Airline has the most delays I have ever experience

Claim on your travel insurance if you have any (which no sane person would be without)!

I take it you did have insurance or did you not think it worth the trouble for 4 days?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
323 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southwest Airline has the most delays I have ever experience

But don't forget, Greyhound also has it's share if delays... If we avoided all forms of transportation because of delays we wouldn't be able to travel at all.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,557 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southwest Airline has the most delays I have ever experience

SW does not fly to Cancun. I wonder if this was a non protected connection.

In that case SW has no obligation to get OP to Cancun

6. Re: Southwest Airline has the most delays I have ever experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 July 2013, 18:05
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,599 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southwest Airline has the most delays I have ever experience

Air Tran, which is now owned by Southwest , flies to Cancun so perhaps that is who they used for that leg.

It is treated by Southwest as 1 ticket so they ARE responsible for the flight that was missed.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
18,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Southwest Airline has the most delays I have ever experience

i once had a 24 hour delay on a 90 mile trip, on AMTRAK. of course i ended up just walking, it was faster. ;-)

DO NOT TAKE AMTRAK!

(j/k about that last sentence)

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
2 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Southwest Airline has the most delays I have ever experience

Southwest used to be flawless with on time record. Beginning with their merger with Air Tran early this year, they have been experiencing awful delays everywhere. I was delayed for 3 hours each way both enroute to Tucson from the East and on my return when changing planes at Chicago 's Midway airport in May. My husband took a flight from Baltimore to Orlando last week and was delayed for 7 hours! SW used to be my favorite airline, but I am rapidly changing my opinion of them.

Edited: 13 July 2013, 13:54
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Southwest Airline has the most delays I have ever experience

I can understand your frustration but it's not only Southwest airlines that get delayed, you only have to read the posts here to know that. They should be putting you up in a hotel and giving you meal vouchers if it was all booked on a through ticket.