We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia baggage scam

Thailand
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
369 reviews
Save Topic
Air Asia baggage scam

This is just one of the many scams of Air Asia. You'd have to pre-book your checked-in luggage and you'd better know how heavy it's going to be. Recently was at the horrible Kuala Lumpur low-cost terminal and because my luggage weighed 5 kilos beyond what I had booked for (some last-minute shopping) they demanded RM50 per kilo, which would come up to RM250 (US$85), which is more than the air fare (to Bangkok) itself!! I turned away and repacked my things into my hand luggage. Since the whole terminal is in a huge mess, with everyone pushing, shoving and shouting, they didn't notice or care what I was doing behind their backs. The terminal is way under-staffed and on the tarmac I almost walked up the wrong plane, as there were no signs. Multiple lines of people trying to find and get up their plane. Malaysia Airlines offers 30 kg free checked-in luggage for economy class. And the main KLIA terminal is paradise compared to the fish market of an LCCT.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,178 posts
Save Reply
41. Re: Air Asia baggage scam

< Weight has little to do with fuel. Same amount is burned at 600 knots regardless. >

Do you also have a perpetual motion machine?

In level flight at a constant speed the energy requirements to keep moving may not signficantly differ due to basic Newtonian physics but they do differ substantially when you need to accelerate, change direction or climb.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Air Asia baggage scam

< Weight has little to do with fuel. Same amount is burned at 600 knots regardless. >

======

So a million kilogram airplane would burn the same amount of fuel as a 1 kilogram one then? I think you'll find the heavier it is the more power is needed to keep it flying even at a constant height. Otherwise engines could essentially be turned off once a plane reached cruising altitude. The thrust of the engines ultimately is translated into lift, and the heavier the plane, the more lift needed just to keep it at level altitude. Even a dog can work that out.

If you think I'm wrong (about the lift, not the dog) ask those folks in the 747 whose engines all failed when it flew through volcanic ash, what happened.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
38,858 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Air Asia baggage scam

<<if we check in all together can we combine all our luggage together to total 80?>>

Yes, as long as you're all on the same booking reference.

<<i bought 30kg for myself... can i split this into 2 suitcases??>>

That information, as is the information about combing luggage, will be on their website.

For reference, the one bag max weight is 32kg.

leeds, uk
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Air Asia baggage scam

thanks for replies

as for starting a new topic... too lazy!!!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Air Asia baggage scam

... and too dismissive of the OP getting notified about replies and others reading the original question, then your irrelevant one?

Pretty pathetic frankly for an established poster.

Level Contributor
3,525 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Air Asia baggage scam

as for starting a new topic... too lazy!!!

---

Sometimes its best not to type things.

47. Re: Air Asia baggage scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 January 2014, 05:05
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
12,005 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Air Asia baggage scam

To be honest, Frank started this pathetic "scam" thread, & complained about having to pay extra money because his baggage exceeded the known limit.

No sympathy at all for him

49. Re: Air Asia baggage scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 03:05
australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Air Asia baggage scam

Frank M, did you check Air Asia weighing scale at check in counter? I had checked in a luggage where the scale was not zero but 0.30kg!! I told the check in counter staff and she immediately changed it to zero!!! So you are right to say beware of scam!!