We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flights for America 2014

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
945 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
flights for America 2014

going on honeymoon in middle of May 2014 to America from Ireland.its ten months from now,is now best time to book flights for best prices? will also be booking some internal flights in America.what's best budget carrier in in usa?

uk
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flights for America 2014

Start looking now and when you see a price you're happy with - grab it but don't look back.

Flight prices fluctuate and it is impossible to tell when the best price will be.

Internally within the US, Southwest are probably considered the 'best' budget carrier. Be sure to check out the legacy carriers as I've oftern found comparable prices. Baggage is included with SW but rarely with the other carriers unless you have status with the airline so be sure to factor this in when comparing prices.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: flights for America 2014

What parts of the U.S. are you most likely to visit ?

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
945 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flights for America 2014

now i just need to work out my routes! 2 weeks ago i checked prices and only 2 airlines had prices advertised.is it true that most airlines post their prices only 10 months in advance?

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
945 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flights for America 2014

mostly like to go to Vegas and west coast.another possibility from there is on to cancun for a week.not quite sure of my plan,possibility thinking few nights in Vegas,on to san fran,drive in California for a week,then to cancun for a week.something like that.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,014 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flights for America 2014

Use a site like kayak.com to see fares from several airlines. Also check southwest.com as their fares are only on their website. They are the original discount airlines but the other carriers tend to match them now.

Southwest and jet blue do not have baggage fees.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,089 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flights for America 2014

"is it true that most airlines post their prices only 10 months in advance?" - Fares are normally released around 330 days in advance but buying as soon as they are released can be expensive, in my experience, as your desire to buy is greater than the airlines need to sell.

Keep monitoring prices but for May 2014 I'd be tempted to wait until later in the year to see what sales might be available but you might need a degree of flexibility over dates/route to get the best deal - BA currently have a sale for bookings by 16 July but it doesn't include any great deals for May 2014 where flights are currently from £833 compared to £566 for March 2014, a later sale might offer similar prices for May 2014.

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
945 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flights for America 2014

mostly like to go to Vegas and west coast.another possibility from there is on to cancun for a week.not quite sure of my plan,possibility thinking few nights in Vegas,on to san fran,drive in California for a week,then to cancun for a week.something like that.

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
945 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flights for America 2014

i think i might just wait and book my flights from Ireland down the line,usually aerlingus have sales on a different times throughout the year.just looked up southwest site and they are only talking bookings until February,so going to have to wait anyway.i can be flexible enough with my dates,give or take a few days.i just really need to think of where i want to go and how longto spend there.this will give me time.thanks for all your help.appreciated.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: flights for America 2014

from APRIL 2014

Aer Lingus will start flying direct

Dublin to San Francisco (SFO)

good luck.

Edited: 12 July 2013, 11:44
Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor