We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting look into something we don't think about..

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,359 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Interesting look into something we don't think about..

The title is a tad misleading but an interesting look at the logistics of on-board food.

news.com.au/travel/travel-advisor/why-airlin…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,137 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interesting look into something we don't think about..

Interesting article able, and a good read.

It reminds me of that Heston Blumenthal episode when he tried to change the dynamics of airline food.

southern england
Level Contributor
405 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interesting look into something we don't think about..

The best meals we had were the chinese option on CX long haul, must admit the english option looked horrid.Breakfast is always the worst,reading the article....i now know why! I think in future we are going to pack some breakfast bars and skip the airline offering,just a cup of tea will do.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interesting look into something we don't think about..

Airline food has always been very hit and miss I learned years ago to always take a sandwich or snacks with me in case the food isn't good but in general yes the Asian airlines do usually serve the best food.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,137 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interesting look into something we don't think about..

>>>Breakfast is always the worst<<<

I once saw the bladder packs (think wine casks) used for the scrambled eggs by Qantas catering. Oh my goodness, there was no way on earth the content was food, it looked radioactive orange, and something that came straight out of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Coral Gables...
Level Contributor
341 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interesting look into something we don't think about..

Thanks for posting. It was interesting. I've never had a problem with airplane food because my expectations are realistic.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interesting look into something we don't think about..

The photos are amusing, too.

# 1 Language mystifies me, but, then it's an Aussie describing it? hehe

# 6 weird food? what about weird dude??

# something. I still don't understand hot dogs for breakfast (right along with canned beans in sauce and that ubiquitous fried tomato in England)

Curries may keep well, but they always look like someone ate them first!

Sure are a lot of starches and carbs on those trays. Sodium saturated to boot!

US carriers offer inedible egg "creations" (who puts chives in eggs for breakfast? May as well be garlic or fish roe) and a kind of protein perverted into a sausage link. Turkey or chicken or other mystery meat? Brings back nightmares of the lunch lady in primary! Go for the cereal (even if it is cornflakes)

All kidding aside, the food in DL biz class is pretty decent, considering what it has to go through. Another reason to drink wine...

Edited: 12 July 2013, 19:10
Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Interesting look into something we don't think about..

Very enlighting article.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,259 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Interesting look into something we don't think about..

Try some Bibimbap, it's wonderful airline food (that's a Korean rice bowl) - just be sure to add the chili paste

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,359 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Interesting look into something we don't think about..

As an Australian we have lots of 12 - 15 hour flights so it's enlightening to know why the last meal/snack is pretty much a mini dried up pizza sub ... I always wonder about these things.

10. Re: Interesting look into something we don't think about..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2014, 05:18