We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monarch Airlines. Complaint handling

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Monarch Airlines. Complaint handling

Hi

Wonder if anyone can help me. I had a problem with Monarch Airlines (I won't go into all the details on here). I submitted a complaint in writing to the CEO. I know the letter was received almost a month ago

I emailed the customer services department asking how long I should expect to wait for a reply to a complaint. Other than their usual auto response I have received no reply to the email either.

Personally I would have expected a standard letter to be sent out on all complaints within 7 days just acknowledging receipt of the letter. Resolving issues obviously won't happen immediately

Any ideas what external body I can complain to re the service from Monarch? I often see reports in newspapers that say such and such an airline is either top or bottom of the customer satisfaction league so where do papers get these statistics from?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
54,569 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monarch Airlines. Complaint handling

Does the Monarch website give any details of their complaints policy, such as their target times to reply? Although it is good service to acknowledge receipt of a complaint and give a rough guesstimate of when a full reply may be forthcoming, I suspect many organisations are unwilling to do this these days on cost grounds, and rely on automated email responses instead.

Northolt, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monarch Airlines. Complaint handling

It's a low cost airline, good customer service don't come from cheap companies.

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Monarch Airlines. Complaint handling

Hi there

Did you use the website online enquiry form or what email address did you use? This may have a bearing on why you haven't heard anything yet....

For info i had a post flight issue with them, wrote to customer services via snail mail including receipts etc and received a cheque within 10 days but nothing before that to say they had received my initial correspondence.

CB

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monarch Airlines. Complaint handling

I am complaining about Monarch via the Co-op travel and they told me to expect a reply within 28 days.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monarch Airlines. Complaint handling

Thanks for all your responses - they are very much appreciated. I contacted Monarch twice via their online customer services email address and I have sent one recorded delivery letter with all the attached paperwork.

Not brilliant service but as one of you has pointed out it is a budget airline so I guess i should expect budget care

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Monarch Airlines. Complaint handling

I am complaining since Feb 2013 (emails, very expensive phone calls, letter) still waiting for a reply.

Only avenue left is, Magistrate Court.

I don’t think I shall be flying with them anymore.

PS

Consumers suffer with poor or no responses from airlines to their complaints.

Consumers suffer with the 'light touch' response from the National Enforcement Bodies (in the UK's case the CAA).

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
315 posts
763 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monarch Airlines. Complaint handling

Personally I prefer CEOs to be running companies rather than replying to customer complaints - they tend to have people for that.

Rob

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monarch Airlines. Complaint handling

Thanks for all your comments. I have completed the form and submitted to the CAA.

Rob I quite agree with your comments. I would much prefer the CEO running the company however as with any complaint you have to raise it to the highest possible level. I have tried the usual customer services, customer services managers etc and get no response whatsoever. With any company the buck ultimately stops with the CEO - if he/she opt to ignore the letter then the governing bodies are happy to then investigate however they do expect me to have gone down all avenues with Monarch first.

Thanks again for all your replies, they are much appreciated.

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monarch Airlines. Complaint handling

I would like to agree with you but unfortunately the people they put in place to handle our complaints are not empowered to do anything about it - they merely quote the rule book and small print so we have no choice but to escalate it.

In today's market place it would appear many of the airlines have no moral fibre.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monarch Airlines. Complaint handling

Thank you for your comments.

Can I just add that I did raise my complaint to chief executive and confirmed in my letter of complaint that I would raise the matter with the CAA.

I am pleased to confirm that Monarch did respond promptly and upheld my complaint and refunded me the money I was owed