We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to Rack up Frequent Flyer Miles Fast!?

Texas
Level Contributor
5,958 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
How to Rack up Frequent Flyer Miles Fast!?

Unfortunately, the Mr. & I only get to travel once a year. #sadface

Right now we have enough miles between us for two 1 way tickets to London. Yes, that is better then nothing, but if I could find a way to boost that to at least one FREE ticket, even better, right?!? #grin We have the AA Citi card (one for each in our own name) and I've already started paying for all my day to day purchases with the card. Does anyone know of another way to earn any BIG bonus points? Have you heard of any promotional deals, etc?

Thanks!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to Rack up Frequent Flyer Miles Fast!?

Fly First class when possible;-)

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,145 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to Rack up Frequent Flyer Miles Fast!?

http://boardingarea.com/frequentmiler/

Europe
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to Rack up Frequent Flyer Miles Fast!?

Etihad customor service replying slowest of all airlines

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
6,389 posts
2,745 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to Rack up Frequent Flyer Miles Fast!?

You must become an elite member of a given airline.

In return the airline will offer you an opportunity to boost miles with each purchase.

Take the train to London & rent a car outside the city.

Driving is very easy.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,705 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to Rack up Frequent Flyer Miles Fast!?

For bonuses you need to churn your credit cards - get a new card with a signup bonus, meet the bonus requirements (usually spend $xxxxx in yyy days), get the bonus, cancel the card, rinse and repeat. This can have a negative effect on your credit rating.

You can also look into learning about manufactured spending. Basically you buy something like a gift card at a retailer that gives you 5X points. That gift card has to be convertible to something like a money order.

You then put that money order back in your bank account and pay off your credit card. As long as the fees associated with all of that are less than the value of the points you earn, you profit. Flyertalk has a forum dedicated to the process. Fatwallet.com is also a good place to learn about these games.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to Rack up Frequent Flyer Miles Fast!?

Before you and Mr 91 consider using your Miles, Points or Avios for a 'free' ticket in Economy, please make a dummy booking .... and then reconsider. Taxes and fees may make those Economy tickets not much cheaper than paid for tickets and ultimately a poor use of Miles.

A far better use of Miles is to pay for seats in Premium Economy and use Miles (Avios) to upgrade to Club World. It's just 12,500 Avios per sector (DFW to LHR) for an upgrade, and a far better use of Miles than to pay for tickets in Economy. You'll get a ticket worth $USXXXX for just $USYYY - and earn more Miles / Avios by flying in Premium Economy as well, making it an almost zero-balance use of Miles.

As a start to boost the Miles in your account, pay for as much as you can with the card. Have a look at special offers available, and consider renting a car for a day or weekend for $US50 if that rental will earn an additional 5000 Miles.

Make your card work for you and the Miles will add up.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,874 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to Rack up Frequent Flyer Miles Fast!?

Agree with tev9999 about churning your credit cards.

Also, start reading these sites on a regular basis:

Million Mile Secrets

http://millionmilesecrets.com/

FrugalTravelGuy

http://www.frugaltravelguy.blogspot.com/

Milepoint

http://milepoint.com/forums/

Flyer Talk

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to Rack up Frequent Flyer Miles Fast!?

totally agree with TravellerPlus. I always use my points for free upgrades. You don't use as much and you get a better class of travel...and you earn points on your flight (I'm with Emirates). I've flown business with them my last 6 flights - and only ever paid for economy.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,238 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to Rack up Frequent Flyer Miles Fast!?

We used miles for two round trip tix Boston- Paris and it is true, miles don't cover the taxes and fees. We ended up paying the equivalent of one economy fare in just taxes and fees for our two "free" tickets. So, essentially we really got a buy one get one free deal, not two free tix. Still a good deal, however, since we wouldn't have been able to go otherwise! So, make that dummy booking and see how many miles you will actually need and save up some money too!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,145 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How to Rack up Frequent Flyer Miles Fast!?

>> We have the AA Citi card... <<

>> Taxes and fees may make those Economy tickets not much cheaper than paid for tickets and ultimately a poor use of Miles... <<

>> We ended up paying the equivalent of one economy fare in just taxes and fees for our two "free" tickets... <<

First it sounds like the OP wants to accumulate AAdvantage miles, not Avios (BA.)

Second, it's true that sometimes the fees tacked on by airlines can devalue the miles to the point where they're essentially worthless. However for the OP using AA miles, this can be overcome simply by not using British Airways in their travels. BA adds fuel surcharges to the bill for mileage/Avios redemption seats (which AA passes through when AA miles are redeemed) which can be very high.

The same trip, e.g. JFK-LHR and back, booked using AA miles AND AA planes will be hundreds of dollars cheaper than if one uses BA planes.

Of course another big factor on cost is the UK's Air Passenger Duty, a hefty government fee charged on departures from the UK. This can be avoided by departing from some other country, even if a change of planes is required in the UK. Arrivals into the UK don't draw this fee.