We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best premium economy Australia to UK?

aussiesseetheworld
Level Contributor
139 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Best premium economy Australia to UK?

We are travelling in June 2014 and weighing up the pros and cons of Premium Economy vs Business Class

We've been told BA's Premium Economy cabin, seats and product is dreadful, but Qantas is really good

From your experience, is there an airline flying SYD- LHR that has a great Premium Economy product that we should be considering as a value option?

(We'd love to save the big $ if we can!)

Thanks for your help!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,246 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best premium economy Australia to UK?

Value is a very personal thing. I'm more inclined to spend more to get an all round quality product in every respect whereas others may look at value as just a larger seat. Between Sydney and London you may want to consider flying via China/Japan/Korea for fares cheaper than BA, QF,SQ etc

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,644 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best premium economy Australia to UK?

I don't find BA's WT+ cabin, seats or product 'dreadful', and have been flying in that cabin for more than 10 years.

The 747 fleet is getting on, and WT+ won't be refurbished on those planes and so looks its age. The seats aren't uncomfortable; the downside of them is the fairly awful leg rest. Meals and on board service have been improved since last year, and overall I find it an acceptable way to travel.

Othes' VMMV.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best premium economy Australia to UK?

Qantas for me would be the best bet, but Virgin Atlantic also worth a look for an excellent PE product also.

Virgin Australia offer it from Abu Dhabi, but their partner Etihad will not do it between Europe and the Middle East, albeit in a much shorter leg.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best premium economy Australia to UK?

A quick look at the QF PE product shows that a return flight is just shy of $7000.

If you have a look at www.bestflight.com.au you'll see that you can get a RTW Business class ticket for the same price. bestflights.com.au/cheap-flights/…116670

It does mean that you have to return from London via the US - but at least you'll be doing the extra air-miles in comfort and enjoying the extras that go with business class like lounge access.

I know there are very vocal members on this forum who hate the idea of booking through a 3rd party, but we have used this TA several times and been very happy with them.

I wouldn't be booking just yet - June is a long way out and there may well be some specials between now and then.

London, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best premium economy Australia to UK?

BA's premium economy from SYD-LHR is the new product on its new 777-300ERs, so is a worthwhile step up from what most have experienced. The cabin configuration is 2-4-2 and you get Club World (business class) main courses now, making it a better experience than it once was. If BA is competitively priced it is worth considering, and it has a reasonable transit at Singapore.

Qantas's premium economy on its A380s (which now operate all Qantas operated flights between London and Australia - which is one daily to Sydney and one daily to Melbourne) is still likely to be marginally better, as the A380 is quieter and you have a similar configuration 2-4-2 but on the upper deck. If priced identically I'd pick Qantas over BA, but I wouldn't pay more than 10% premium for Qantas.

Virgin Atlantic also has premium economy on this route, but I wouldn't rank it as highly, primarily because the aircraft and seating are much older than those used by BA and Qantas.

Cathay Pacific is introducing premium economy on routes, but early reports is that it has cheaper fares, but also seats that aren't quite as comfortable. You can also fly Air NZ (albeit a slower route) via Los Angeles, which has a far superior premium economy product from Auckland to London (2-2-2 in fixed shell seats on the 777), but the transit at LA is rather tedious and does require you to register for the US visa waiver programme.

However, given some of the prices on offer, you may find some airlines offering heavily discounted business class fares that aren't much more - and the difference in comfort is significant. I'd easily pay 20-25% more for business class over premium economy any day, as you'll have guaranteed lounge access, much more legroom, a seat that lies flat or near flat and far better food/drink service.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,749 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best premium economy Australia to UK?

It looks as if VA are using their Airbuses on this route. We have experienced PE on both the Airbus A340 400 and 600. PE is very good on both but we prefer the 600 version as there are two dedicated toilets for PE for around 35 passengers!!! The seats are leather, nice and wide and very comfortable. You get good service....a drink of fizz/orange juice on boarding, a bottle of water, a hot towel, your food is served on china (but dare I say it, that doesn't make it any better!!!), a choice of Baileys or Brandy after your meal, fruit later on and of course, you get off the plane pretty quickly at your destination.

I haven't flown on any other airline in PE so can't comment I'm afraid. I'm sure BA are good too and maybe it will all come down to price?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best premium economy Australia to UK?

PE is never going to be as good as Business but it depends on the price difference, if you can get business on another airline for the same price as BA or Qantas then that would be my choice.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best premium economy Australia to UK?

Just to add, you still have a long time before your departure flight and there will definitely be a sale before then so I would wait a little bit longer before you book and in the meantime check out the reviews for each airline on the www.airlinequality.com website.

9. Re: Best premium economy Australia to UK?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 05:16